The Postgraduate Diploma in Bioanalytical Chemistry will provide you with knowledge of bioanalytical chemistry as applied in the biopharmaceutical industry. It aims to deliver a broad scope of industry relevant bioanalytical topics that will give you valuable insight and raise your awareness of the importance, implementation and impact of bioanalytical chemistry. Proactive collaboration with industry in the design and delivery of the curriculum is an innovative approach that will enhance the student learning experience.
Towards these ends the blended course will consist of
• (i) lectures (both online and classroom)
• (ii) laboratory work on set experiments (combination of virtual and laboratory practice)
• (iii) industry workshops/seminars/guest lectures
• (iv) a series of interactive virtual games based on industry case studies and
• (v) a short bioanalytical research/development project.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Bioanalytical Chemistry is a level 9 qualification that will provide you with knowledge of bioanalytical chemistry as applied in the biopharmaceutical industry. It is a full time programme that will be run over the course of 2 semesters and will be delivered as a blended course consisting of 10 modules. These modules aim to deliver a broad scope of industry relevant bioanalytical topics that will give you valuable insight and raise your awareness of the importance, implementation and impact of bioanalytical chemistry. Modules will deliver a more in-depth appreciation of the latest trends of bioanalytical techniques and state of the art analytical technologies being implemented by the biopharmaceutical industry. Training in a wide range of methods of bioanalytical chemistry analysis and chemometric skills, literature searching, troubleshooting and presentation skills will be provided. A key aspect of the programme is the partnering with several industries that provide valuable insight, skills and knowledge that bridge the gap between academic teaching and industry practice. Proactive collaboration with industry in the design and delivery of the curriculum is an innovative approach that will enhance the student learning experience.
Towards these ends the course will consist of:
• (i) Online lectures
• (ii) Virtual Laboratory work
• (iii) Laboratory work on set experiments
• (iv) Industry workshops
• (v) A desk-based research review project
Over the duration of this programme you will learn how to:
• Identify, formulate, analyse and solve problems in the analysis of biological compounds
• Outline fundamental and applied aspects of bioanalytical chemistry
• Design and carry out a method of biopharmaceutical analysis, including instrumental analysis
• Communicate effectively with the biopharmaceutical community on bioanalytical chemistry
• Troubleshoot and problem solve challenges in the field of bioanalytical chemistry
• Prepare a written research report and disseminate the results by way of presentation
Why Choose This Course
Students will be ready to work in the Biopharmaceutical industry on completion of this Postgraduate Diploma in Bioanalytical Chemistry. They will have a broader awareness of bioanalytical technologies and techniques and be better prepared to fulfil new and emerging roles in Quality Assurance and Quality Control within the Biopharmaceutical industry.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Bioanalytical Chemistry gives students a broad foundation of Bioanalytical techniques and assays and their application in the Biopharmaceutical industry. The Biopharmaceutical manufacturing sector is very strong in Ireland with an investment of $10 billion in developing new facilities over the past 10 years. As a sector it is seeing a strong demand for new skills to be developed as this investment leads to new jobs and roles within the industry.
The industry advisory board from the taught postgraduate programmes in Analytical Chemistry has been very proactive to partner the Biopharmaceutical sector with the School of Chemistry and consult on the design and implementation of the curriculum for this new PG Dip programme.
The content delivered in the Bioanalytical programme is very relevant to the skills in the Biopharmaceutical sector and students on completion of the programme will have improved opportunities for employment. The new modes of teaching, industry relevant content and innovative methods of delivery, including the use of virtual reality technology (labs and virtual gaming) have significant input from key industry partners (in particular the industry relevant case studies and workshops). This PG Dip will also provide students with opportunities to develop their problem-solving skills and enhance their student experience through a blended course delivery and direct contact with Biopharmaceutical industry representatives.
You will complete 60 credits as follows:
• CM6028 Introduction to Bioanalytical Chemistry (5 credits)
• CM6009 Advanced Bioanalytical Chemistry (5 credits)
• CM6024 Industry Led Workshops/Seminars in Bioanalytical Chemistry (5 credits)
• CM6025 Instrumental Techniques for Bioanalytical Chemistry (5 credits)
• CM6031 Process Analytical Technology in BioPharma (5 credits)
• CM6029 Introduction to Quality and Regulatory Affairs for BioPharma (5 credits)
• CM6032 Troubleshooting Bioanalytical Chemistry Case Studies (5 credits)
• CM6008 Virtual Bioanalytical Chemistry Laboratories (5 credits)
• CM6030 Practice of Bioanalytical Chemistry (10 credits)
• CM6023 Bioanalytical Project (10 credits)
Applicants must have a Second Class Honours Grade 2 in a primary honours degree (NFQ, Level 8) in Science, Process Engineering or Chemical Engineering.
A quota will be allocated to applicants who do not meet these entry requirements. These applicants will be considered under Recognition of Prior Learning and assessed on the following factors:
• Academic achievement
• Prior Work Experience
• Letter of Reference
• Personal Statement
All applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence of English language proficiency. See our English language proficiency requirements.
How Do I Apply
Currently closed for applications
Fill out our Expression of Interest Form for 2022 available at https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx?id=pVz-Rm-GQk6S6e2HhiRVRaHU4_muCMJAjZI1vhjk7UxUM0I0REdCV0lOVzBLRjlPQllISklNWjRQSS4u
Applications will be accepted online at Springboard Application System available at https://springboardcourses.ie/details/9451
1 year full-time
Post Course Info
Skills and Careers Information
The Postgraduate Diploma in Bioanalytical Chemistry has been designed to enable graduates to meet priority skills needs for the biopharmaceutical sector. It links strongly to Regional development and NDP/Project Ireland 2040 objectives, responding to the needs of the biopharmaceutical industry to provide more skilled personnel.
You will gain hands-on experience with industry partners through industry workshops that have been incorporated into the programme.
Are there any career workshops included as part of this course?
Students will have access to the UCC career services. Main activities will include:
1. Career coaching to formulate individual career action plans leading to employment, reflecting on:
1. Where are they now in their careers?
2. Where do they want to be?
3. Strategies for gaining employment on completion of the programme.
2. Job readiness workshops will be built into the programme as outlined below:
1. Positioning oneself for job readiness: Setting realistic career objectives; Understanding strengths and skills; Learning from successful role models; Developing a career management strategy.
2. Moving forward into a job: Taking action by developing career goals and implementing them;
3. Creative job-hunting both on-line and off-line; Written applications, CVs and interview preparation and implementing career plans.
3. Participants will be given the opportunity to meet employers by attending UCC organised recruitment fairs, jobs roadshows and other events where employers will be invited on campus to meet students.