Computer Science Education Research
Is this course for me?
Our Master of Science in Computer Science Education Research has 30 taught credits and a 60 credit Research Dissertation. The taught modules give the student a background in the field of Computer Science Education before the student begins a significant piece of research in the area.
The MSc in Computer Science Education Research programme will be offered from the Computing Department at LYIT and will endeavour to better prepare learners for a career as a computer science educator at primary, post-primary and Further Education levels. This Master's degree in computer science education will provide educators with the skills to create curriculum and instruct students in the areas of modern technologies, computer programming, security and technology ethics. Course content for the MSc in Computer Science Education Research degree is research based and infuses best practices in computer science education.
Course work will be available by blended learning with material available on the Virtual Learning Environment and will then be supplemented with traditional face-to-face teaching on campus. The programme's online delivery option allows candidates to receive and submit coursework and interact with participants and lecturers via the Internet. The distance delivery option allows busy professionals to complete their Master's degree without having to leave their jobs or travel long distances. The face-to-face sessions ensure that material covered is understood and provides learners with an opportunity to emulate and model delivery of the content.
• Flexible part-time and full-time options
• Blended learning with material available on the Virtual Learning Environment supplemented with face to face teaching on campus.
• This course gives the student a background in the field of computer science education
• An opportunity to develop in-depth skills through a major piece of research
Minimum Entry Requirements
The Masters Programme will be available to applicants who meet one of the following criteria:
· An Honours Degree (min 2:2) and qualified to teach.
· A level-8 Higher Diploma in Computing for Educators with 2:2 or higher.
· Candidates who do not have an Honours degree but have significant relevant experience may also be eligible for consideration via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
What will I study?
Computational Thinking for Problem Solving Mandatory 10
Computer Ethics and Law in Education Mandatory 10
Teaching and Learning for Computer Science Mandatory 10
Research Dissertation Mandatory 60
2 years, part-time
EU Fees: €5,000.00
First intake September 20 2019
Post Course Info
Follow up programmes elsewhere include:
• Level 10 studies (Doctoral) at other institutions and universities at home and abroad.
The main employers are:
• Companies with Large Database Systems
• Payment Card Industry
• Financial Services
Former graduates are employed in the following capacities:
• Data Scientist
• Data Storage Manager
• Data Analyst