Irish - Old & Middle Irish
The MA in Old and Middle Irish is designed to provide students with a thorough grounding in the Irish language and literature of the period c.600–c.1200. It is aimed at those who already have a good basic knowledge of Irish (Medieval or Modern) or another Celtic language and, in exceptional circumstances, at those who have an appropriate other background to undertake the study of Old and Middle Irish from the beginning.
3 GOOD REASONS TO STUDY THIS COURSE
1. You gain a thorough grounding in the native language of medieval Ireland and a deep understanding of its deservedly famous literature.
2. If your background is in Modern Irish, this course will open a panorama on the entire Gaelic tradition. If you have prior knowledge of other languages or literatures, it will greatly enrich your understanding of medieval Europe and Ireland's place in it.
3. The programme provides an excellent foundation for MLitt and PhD higher research programmes.
Minimum Entry Requirements
QQI Level 8 degree or equivalent, Second Class Honours or equivalent. IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
The programme offers taught modules in the following:
• Grammar of Old and Middle Irish
• Literary History 600–1200
• Close reading of medieval Irish texts
• History, scholarship and culture in medieval Ireland
• Comparative Celtic linguistics.
1 year, full-time; 2 years part-time.
Post Course Info
Graduates have found employment in teaching and academic research, publishing and the print and electronic media, and have developed careers in the interpretation and management of culture and heritage. The programme provides an excellent foundation for higher research programmes (MLitt and PhD) in many fields of Irish language and Celtic Studies of the medieval, the early modern and the contemporary period. The skills acquired are also highly relevant for research in medieval Irish history and archaeology.