Learning & Teaching
Is this course for me?
Our Master of Arts in Learning and Teaching is for full-time teachers in primary, secondary or third level sectors who wish to enhance their professional development, reflect on their own practice and develop new techniques and/ or leadership skills.
This course is designed to support the development of learning and teaching within third level, further education, post-primary and primary sectors. A key aspect of the course is the relationship between effective teaching and reflective practice; the imperative to reflect not only on what we should teach, but how effectively we teach.
This course will enable you to critically analyse your own teaching practice, and offer you a variety of pathways to complete a full Masters in learning and teaching.
Every module focuses on critical reflective practice, based on evidence rather than anecdote, and the collection and analysis of evidence is a prominent feature of the programme. It reflects the growing understanding of the central role of assessment and evaluation in learning and teaching and the importance of academic writing and research at every stage of education.
You will have the opportunity to work collaboratively across disciplines with practitioners from all levels of education, including national and international best practice speakers, and following graduation will have the opportunity to work at every level of education.
Key Features Include:
• Focused on developing professional practice in learning and teaching.
• Leading national and international best practice speakers
• Blended learning delivery
• Work based learning and research in all modules
• Block delivery over 2 years at weekends
• Assessment is assignment based
• Links theory to practice.
Minimum Entry Requirements
The minimum entry requirements are a Level 8 Honours Degree, or equivalent, second class honours (2.2). If you don't have an honours degree but have relevant experience you may also be eligible to apply via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Applicants should be currently involved in an active teaching role.
What will I study?
• Student Centred Learning & Teaching (M)
• Academic Writing in Research (M)
• Assessment (M)
• Enhanced Learning & Teaching through Creativity & Scholarship (M)
Choose one of the following electives (E):
• Technology Enhanced Learning
• Inclusive Curriculum
• Educational Leadership Management
• Effective Supervision
• Restorative Practice: A Transformative Approach to Teaching & Learning
• Recognition of Prior Learning
• Alcohol and Other Drugs: Responding to Teachers Needs in Today's Society
• Research Methods (M)
• Dissertation (M)
(M) = Mandatory, (E) = Elective
2 years part-time.
EU Fees: €5,800.00
Non-EU Fees: €10,000.00
Next intake - January 2020.
Post Course Info
Follow up programmes elsewhere include:
• Further Level 9 (Masters) and Level 10 (Doctoral) at other institutions and universities at home and abroad.
The main employers are:
• Primary Education
• Secondary Education
• Third Level Education
• Further Education
Graduate careers typically include:
• Primary School Vice-Principal/Principal
• Secondary School VP/Principal