Social Care Practice - Advanced
Aim of Programme
The Social Care profession is dedicated to protecting and assisting the most vulnerable in our society. Social Care Workers are on the front line in attempting to address pertinent social issues, such as child protection and welfare, domestic violence, mental health, promoting equality of opportunity for those with special needs, as well as rights and social inclusion for those experiencing marginalisation in our society. Such a profession requires highly competent, confident and qualified persons with specialised training and knowledge of national and international best practice. The MA/PgD. in Advanced Social Care Practice is designed to support Social Care Workers in extending their knowledge and skills to a higher level, drawing on unique and emerging techniques linked to evidence-based practice. It will facilitate Social Care Workers to keep themselves well-informed on current policy, strategy and quality considerations that impact on their work. This innovative programme was designed after extensive consultation with relevant stakeholders to identify needs of the sector. Modules are developed on an ongoing basis in consultation with the Social Care sector i.e. Social Care Workers, agencies and organisations to meet current and emerging needs.
• Master of Arts in Advanced Social Care Practice (Level 9): Completion of designed modules worth 40 credits plus Research Methods and Dissertation (total 70 credits),
• Postgraduate Diploma in Advanced Social Care Practice (Level 9): Completion of designed modules (total 60 credits) of choice, excluding Research Methods and Dissertation,
• Minor Award (Level 9) associated with the Master of Arts in Advanced Social Care Practice: Completion of one designed module.
Applicants should hold an honours degree (Level 8) in Social Care. Applicants with an honours degree (Level 8) in a cognate discipline may complete a Minor Award in a single module.
Modules will be offered subject to demand. Modules will run one evening per week (6pm-9pm) over the course of each semester.
What will I study
• The following modules are currently available:
• Behaviours that Challenge (10 credits)
• Contemporary Approaches in Intellectual Disability Practice(10 credits)
• Mental Health, Law and Policy (10 credits)
• Approaches to Supporting Families (10 credits)
• Interpersonal Conflict: Prevention and Resolution (10 credits)
• Approaches to Care with Older People (10 credits);
• Managing for Professional Social Care Practice (10 credits)
• Contemporary Developments in Social Care Practice (5 credits)
• Academic Writing for Postgraduate Study (5 credits)
• Research Methods (10 credits)
• Dissertation (20 credits)
Course Fees: €750 per module.
Contact Athlone IT for next course start date.
Post Course Info
The MA/PgD. in Advanced Social Care Practice will facilitate the continuing professional development (CPD) of Social Care Workers through the pedagogies of continued professional education (CPE). Graduates of this course may be eligible to pursue postgraduate training and research leading to a PhD (Level 10) qualification.