Higher Diploma in Science in Software Development - Level 8
• If you come from a non-computing background and wish to convert to a Software Programmer role.
• You can complete the course over 12 or 18 months.
• The course is fully ONLINE, with optional programming workshops once per month on a Friday evening.
• Includes a 3-6 month placement in an IT related role, or a placement equivalent.
• Up to 80% of those who completed this course in previous years obtained paid employment within three months of the course ending.
This course provides you, as a Level 8 graduate, with an entry path into careers in computing and it includes a placement in the IT industry.
There is the assumption behind the course that Level 8 graduates from other disciplines will already have developed significant transferable skills in analysis, communications and independent learning and that graduates are in a position to quickly learn a focused subset of computing knowledge at Level 8.
The aim of this course is to provide you with this focused subset of knowledge and the requisite skills to apply it in a work environment.
The make up of this course is:
• Object Oriented Software Development (10 credits)
• Computer Architecture and Technology Convergence (5 credits)
• Network Technologies (5 credits)
• Database Design and Development (5 credits)
• Web Applications Development (5 credits)
• Agile Software Development (5 credits)
• Mobile Applications Development (5 credits)
• Operating Systems and Cloud Computing (5 credits)
• Advanced Object Oriented Software Development / Project (10 credits)
• Computational Thinking with Algorithms (5 credits)
• Work placement/ internship (15 credits)
Object Oriented Software Development
Computer Architecture and Technology Convergence
Database Design and Development
Web Application Development
Work Placement/ Internship
Agile Software Development
Mobile Applications Development
Operating Systems and Cloud Computing
Advanced Object Oriented Software Development / Project
Computational Thinking with Algorithms
Applications on www.springboardcourses.ie
Applications must be made through http://www.springboardcourses.ie
The Springboard+ Programme is operated by the Higher Education Authority on behalf of the Department of Education and Skills and is co-funded by the Irish Government and the European Union under the European Structural and Investment Funds Programme 2021-2027.
Method of Delivery: Online
Mode of Study: Part Time
Work placement: Included
Fully online with recorded lectures, followed by online discussion groups with the lecturers.
Post Course Info
The Higher Diploma in Science in Computing is an Honours Degree level graduate conversion award which gives graduates from non-computing backgrounds the skills and knowledge to start a career in the IT industry.