Software Development - Limerick
Software Development (Higher Diploma, L8, 60 ECTS)
The Higher Diploma in Software Development programme is designed to address the ICT skills demand for Computer Software Engineers. Software has become an essential component of both modern business and society and as such provides limitless opportunities for graduates with software development skills and knowledge. This programme provides breadth of knowledge and depth of technical skills required to meet both the current and future needs of the IT industry.
The programme focus is on Software Engineering and Software Development techniques, applying state of the art methodologies and technology. The breadth of the programme enhances the learners ability to fit rapidly into different workplace cultures, diverse computing environments and to adapt to change. The course also provides progression opportunities to additional post-graduate studies.
What will the time commitment be?
Each 5 credits will normally equate to approximately 100 Total Learning Hours. Total Learning Hours includes the time you spend in class (lectures, tutorials, practical elements) and the time you spend completing work outside of college. The balance between these two varies by discipline, and by level of study. You should bear in mind that the workload will increase at particular times e.g. when assignments are due.
What modules will I study?
1. Programming Data: Learners will be introduced and develop core skills on data programming.
2. Project: Work based applied project.
3. Algorithms and Data Structures: Learners will learn and apply core algorithms and data structure concepts.
4. Software Product Development: Learners will develop and apply software programmes.
5. Enterprise Application Development: Learners will understand analyse and develop key enterprise applications.
6. Web Development: Learners will understand and apply core concepts in software engineering.
7. Data Driven Applications: Design and Implementation: design, administration and programming practices required for effective implementation of data aps.
8. Application Development: Designed to equip learners with the advanced features required to build and deploy sols.
9. Computer Systems, Operating Systems & Networks: Provide an understanding of the structures and functions of computer systems, computer operating systems.
10. Systems Modelling: Covers areas such as UML modelling, software engineering in the context of the object oriented parad.
11. DBS Architecture, Design and Programming: Effective design, administration and implementation in order to support data driven applications.
12. Work Placement: (Summer-June, July & August)
What are the entry requirements?
This programme is open to recent Level 8 graduates
1. An honours degree Level 8 in a non-cognate discipline or approved equivalent qualification.
2. Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) / Special Case Registrations: Prospective participants who do not meet the entry requirements for the programme detailed above, but who may qualify for admission by meeting certain other equivalent criteria, should notify the Flexible Learning Office and request consideration under RPL. Please submit your application online and then email all your supporting documents to Springboard@lit.ie
Application Deadline: TBC
Register Your Interest for September 2023: https://lit.ie/Register-Your-Interest?coursecode=LC_KSFTD_LMY
Participants will be assessed through ongoing continuous assessment, assignments, projects and examinations.
Delivery - classroom, Moylish campus Limerick
TBC for September 2023
This is an intensive 1 year programme. Approx. 22 hours per week and following the TUS academic calendar.
There will be a 3 month work placement in June, July & August 2023
Exact timetable TBC.
This programme is free of charge for participants who are unemployed and claiming an eligible DEASP payment or previously self-employed and claiming an eligible DEASP payment.
Participants who are in employment or who do not meet the requirements for 100% funding will be required to pay a fee of €612.50.
Please see www.springboardcourses.ie for eligibility criteria details.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply for these programmes on the Springboard Website (please see "Application Weblink below).
Start Date: September.