The MA in Spanish is aimed at students and language professionals who wish to consolidate and extend oral and written fluency in Spanish, in addition to developing competency in research methods and, optionally, a deeper knowledge of Spanish and/or Latin American literature. Students will extend their awareness of and sensitivity to a range of intercultural issues and be capable of contributing to professional and economic activities relating to the Spanish-speaking world.
3 Good Reasons To Study This Course
1. Students will hone their language and translation skills in English and Spanish.
2. Participants will be exposed to a range of contemporary critical debates relating to Latin American literature, cultural studies, intercultural communication and translation studies.
3. Spanish is one of the most important languages for business relations with Spain, Latin America, and the USA: fluency in this language can lead to excellent career prospects.
Minimum entry requirements
Second Class Honours QQI Level 8 degree or equivalent, with Second Class Honours, Grade 2 or equivalent in Spanish.
The programme includes such modules as:
• Advanced Language Skills I and II in Spanish
• Translation Studies I
• Latin American Literature I and II
• Language and Intercultural Communication
• Translation Methodology
• Research Methods.
1 year, full-time.
Post Course Info
Graduates of the MA (Spanish) have gone on to do second- and third-level teaching and doctoral and translation work. They have also found employment in media, administration, cultural activities and journalism.