Spatial Audio - Micro-Credential
Why should I take this Micro-credential?
• Spatial audio has seen renewed interest in recent years due to its critical importance in new immersive media such as VR, AR, and 360 video. New immersive cinema surround-sound formats such as Dolby Atmos have also recently been adopted by streaming media platforms such as Apple Music, Netflix, among others.
• The recording, production, and formatting of spatial audio for these different platforms and applications involve a range of different audio techniques such as binaural and ambisonics, which are significantly more complex and fundamentally different from standard two-channel stereo.
• This micro-credential will allow audio practitioners to upskill to these new audio formats and standards used in media such as VR, AR, and 360 video, and new spatial audio streaming formats such as Dolby Atmos, utilizing spatial audio recording and analysis techniques for acoustic engineering and analysis.
What will I learn?
• This micro-credential addresses the fundamental psychoacoustics behind techniques such as stereophony, ambisonics, and binaural to reveal how they function, and importantly their relative strengths and limitations.
• In addition, the practical production of audio content using these techniques will be addressed using a variety of different tools and applications.
• Finally, the use of spatial audio techniques for acoustics analysis and engineering will also be examined using a variety of practical examples.
What will I do?
• In this micro-credential you will attend weekly 2-hour lectures. These will be classroom based due to the significant practical component involving spatial audio loudspeaker systems, microphones, and other tools and software.
• The lectures will include the theory and practice of various spatial audio techniques, using both lecture style presentations, listening sessions with various spatial audio content, and practical, studio-based tutorials.
• 2.1 grade in a level 8 degree in Engineering, Music/Media Technology, Music, or cognate disciplines
• Up to date CV required.
Closing Date: 12th December 2022
How will this Micro-credential be delivered?
• The lecture component of this micro-credential will occupy a single 2-hour slot, once a week for the 12 weeks of the autumn semester and is therefore relatively accessible for industry and professional staff participation.