Limerick Institute of Technology
Facts and figures
LIT Careers Fair 2016
What's it all about?
For those of you who have never attended a Careers Fair (or Recruitment Fair), this provides you with a unique opportunity to meet with a number of employers who plan to recruit graduates in the year 2017. Some of these employers will also have immediate vacancies to fill.
What companies will attend?
We will have more than 140 organisations participating in the Fair. This will include large and small companies, local, national and international companies, across all disciplines. What they have in common is an interest in meeting students who may be potential employees in 2017. Details of participating companies are included in Careers by Degrees 2016/17 which will be available in hard copy in October at the Careers Service, E0019.
Why should you attend?
The Careers Fair gives you the opportunity to:
- Make personal contact with leading graduate employers in many sectors of industry and commerce
- Get expert advice on what a career with a particular company might involve and how you can get the job you want
- Collect company literature and information to help you compare companies
- Determine which organisation you would like to join.
To make the best of this opportunity you will need to be prepared. Few employers will offer you a job on the spot but if you make the right impression this will be to your advantage at the interview stage. Here are some tips to help you on the day:
- Do some research on companies you want to see. Read the company entries in this publication carefully and check the company websites
- For help in preparing a CV, attend the seminar on 'Making Effective Applications' in October
- Book a slot to save your CV checked at the lunch-time CV Review sessions in E0019 during October
- Take along several copies of your CV to leave with employers
- Make note of the names of any contacts you make on the day
- Think about your strengths and skills and be able to tell an employer what you have to offer
- Think about what questions you want to ask them: What vacancies do they have? What are their requirements? What training opportunities do they offer?
- Be sure to visit the less well-know organisations also as they often have very challenging opportunities to offer.
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!