What graduates say
- The Inside buzz from graduates
Get the Inside Buzz on the Public Service (Civil Service, IGEES & Local Government)
"I work for a large, organised and dynamic organisation."
- The culture in all areas is friendly and hard work is noted and appreciated
- Working hours for graduates are very manageable and can be flexible when necessary
- All roles offer lots of opportunities for personal development and up-skilling
- Managers are supportive and there are good performance review systems in place
- As with many public sector roles, graduates may face a certain amount of bureaucracy
- Workloads can be especially heavy during busy periods
- Graduates don't always get to know exactly what their job will entail before they join
- There can be a few negative stereotypes associated with the Civil Service
What insiders say about...
"I would advise applicants to read up and everything about the specific council they..."
"In my opinion, the organisation is very collegiate, hugely collaborative and very..."
"There are many different Civil Service offices around the country. Many are in old..."
"There isn't any overtime payment but the flexi-time system is brilliant. It's family..."
"I think it is a very fair starting salary and in line with industry rates."
"Relevant and interesting training modules are a perk."
"My questions were surrounding the role of the council, including why good communication..."
"We are encouraged to print only what is absolutely necessary, to turn off equipment..."
"My line manager is very accessible and tries to expose me to new sides of the job..."
"As a public service organisation we operate a huge selection of family friendly policies..."
"I am developing a web strategy and a social media policy for my employer. I deal..."
"I am exposed to all different aspects of the HR department and not just confined..."
"I work long hours which can be difficult."
"We own Dalymount Park stadium, the home of Irish football."
"A great place to work with opportunities to work on interesting projects."
"Having the opportunity to be involved with the shaping of public policy was very..."
"I have had excellent training through the Graduate Development Programme, and there..."
"Maybe moving around to different departments during the graduate programme to have..."