Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!
Mechanical Engineer Internship AbbVie (12-15 month)
AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV) is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott. AbbVie combines the focus and passion of a leading-edge biotech with the expertise and capabilities of a long-established pharmaceutical leader to develop and market advanced therapies that address some of the world’s most complex and serious diseases. AbbVie employs approximately 28,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries. AbbVie’s Irish operations employ more than 600 people across five sites in Ireland. There are three Manufacturing facilities in Sligo and Cork as well as a Manufacturing & Engineering Services and a Commercial Services office in Dublin.
We offer a dynamic program which will ensure interns’ personal and professional development through a rigorous, well-defined assignments, performance management process and opportunities to get to know the business and it’s leaders. From the day one interns participate in on-boarding activities, receive extensive on the job training and participate in professional training courses that give all the tools needed for success. Our intern programme has been devised to ensure our interns get an insight into Abbvie and the pharmaceutical sector through business overview and site tours, career panel discussions and the opportunity to meet our leaders.
Assignments are structured in such a way as to give the intern the opportunity to make a measurable impact. At the start of the internship goals will be set, they will be assessed regularly and formally at the end of your assignment.
Our Cork Site in Carricktwohill is going undergoing a significant site expansion currently. As a Mechanical Engineering intern you will get exposure to maintenance and reliability engineering, project engineering working as part of major site capital and expansion project as well as gaining familiarity with FDA regulated products.
Sample projects an Engineering intern can get involved in include;
- Project Engineering re capital and expansion project
- Provide Engineering services to the plant, in order to maximise the availability of Manufacturing, Utilities and Facilities Equipment.
- Work as part of a project team to process support for commercial campaigns.
- Support the engineering teams in controlling uptime of equipment and optimizing efficiencies both in equipment and process performance with the emphasis on continual operational improvements.
- Provide the resources necessary to ensure the effective management of EHS at the facility.
Requirements for an internship with Abbvie
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree student in Mechanical Engineering
- Completed at least one year of college education before beginning internship
- Must be enrolled in school the semester following your internship
- EU working permit