Process Improvement Lead, Harlequin Manufacturing Limited
Harlequin Manufacturing Limited, manufacture rotationally moulded polyethylene products, including domestic and commercial oil storage and delivery tanks, solid fuel storage containers, potable and non-potable water storage and collection tanks, effluent treatment tanks and domestic hot water storage tanks (product launch 2016).
THE ROLE (FUSION Project) - 12 Month Contract
The main aim of the project is the improvement of a manufacturing process for the production of a new hot water tank used in domestic and industrial applications. Improvements to the process and facilities will enable the company to scale up production from 1,000 units pa to meet sales volumes of 15,000 units pa by the end of the 3rd year after the FUSION project. The project will investigate factory simulation and process layout so as to streamline production workflows of the new hot-water tank manufacturing facilities.
The company also believes there is an opportunity through FUSION to assess and improve an existing facility that produces large effluent tanks. Harlequin and AIT will use the lessons learned in process improvement with the hot water tanks to drive greater efficiencies in the production of these large effluent tanks.
Reporting to the Company Supervisor, you will be employed by Harlequin Manufacturing Ltd to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with Athlone Institute of Technology. As part of this role you will be required to undertake a Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. This is fully funded by InterTradeIreland. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
- Hold, or have been awarded by June 2017, a min BEng 2:1 Hons in Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Design, Engineering Management or a closely related discipline.
- Be legally permitted to work in the EU.
- Have successfully completed a one year undergraduate industrial placement programme in manufacturing industry or one year related industrial experience.
- Practical knowledge of manufacturing via academic study or industrial application.
- Experience of tool making or material science
- Good analytical skills
- Demonstrate attention to detail
- Good communicator both orally and written
- The successful candidate must have access to a form of transport which will enable them to fulfil their responsibilities at the time of appointment
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!