R & D Engineer / Material Scientist åtto Abrasives Ltd
åtto Abrasives Limited develops & manufactures specialized abrasive products for niche applications in the aerospace, automotive, cutlery & specialized engineering sectors. Our team of industry specialists provide a complete in-house service, including product development, prototype testing and full scale manufacture. With manufacturing & product development facilities in both Ireland & Mexico, åtto Abrasives is uniquely positioned to support its worldwide customer base with innovative & quality abrasive solutions. Our unique rubber bond technology allows us to formulate abrasive products with unparalleled properties relative to conventional vitrified or resin bonds. As an independent manufacturer, we can offer a product that is optimised to match customer needs.
THE ROLE (FUSION Project) - 14 Month Contract - FU4221
The objective of this Fusion project is to develop and manufacture new high performance products which will give the company the opportunity to penetrate new markets including medical devices, jewellery, dairy processing equipment etc. åtto Abrasives has a number of formulations that are custom developed for specific end users in the aerospace & automotive sectors. In many cases these formulations are sold to a single or limited number of customers. The aim is to undertake new product design and development using these starting formulations and bring the resulting new higher added value products to market.
Reporting to the Company Supervisor, you will be employed by åtto Abrasives Ltd to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with Queen’s University Belfast
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILL SET REQUIREMENTS
To be considered for this position you must:
- To hold or be awarded an Honours Degree in an Engineering or Scientific (Analytical Chemistry / Materials).
- Legally permitted to work in the EU.
- Completion of at least one module in materials.
- A knowledge of analytical techniques
- Computer skills (data analysis) with a willingness to work in industry across a number of disciplines; engineering; chemistry; production; characterisation.
To find out more about the InterTradeIreland Graduate Programme and the next steps go to www.intertradeireland.com/graduates
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!