Mechanical Product Design Engineer, Boyce Precision Engineering Ltd
Boyce Precision Engineering Ltd is a contract manufacturing company which produces metal components to high precision and tolerances for the aerospace, pharmaceutical and manufacturing industries
THE ROLE (FUSION Project) - 12 Month Contract
The proposed project is to develop a product from a working prototype that can pull- start 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines easily and with minimum physical effort. This is a rare opportunity to get involved in a project that will give experience in the end to end development and manufacture of a final working product. The role will require refining/developing the product for reliable high volume production at optimum cost. The selling point of the product is that it is unique, a world first and of real practical value in that the device can be used to start existing devices without modification to those devices.
Reporting to the Company Supervisor, you will be employed by Boyce Precision Engineering Ltd to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with Athlone Institute of Technology. As part of this exiting role you will be required to undertake a Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. This opportunity is fully funded by InterTradeIreland. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops.
- To engineer the product using appropriate materials, injection moulding and extruding techniques for optimum performance, cost and usability.
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
Candidates must possess
- Hold or have been awarded a Min 2:2 BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering, or Product Design Engineering by 1st July 2017
- Legally Permitted to work in the EU.
- Have access to a form of transport which will enable them to fulfil their responsibilities.
- Hold an MEng Qualification
- Have successfully completed a one year undergraduate industrial placement programme in manufacturing industry or one year related industrial experience.
- Practical knowledge of polymer technology via academic study or industrial application.
- Knowledge and experience of product design and modelling
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!