Polymer R&D Engineer, Condron Concrete Ltd
Condron’s main business is the manufacture of concrete, pipes, manhole sections bases and roof tiles. Condron also produces High Density Polyethylene twin-wall pipes and accessories using post consumer waste. The company recently installed a plastic waste reprocessing plant, which produces recycled polymer pellets for use as feedstock in the manufacture of their twin-wall pipes
THE ROLE (FUSION Project) – 18 Month Contract
This project will focus on the development and optimisation of Condron’s plastics recycling plant, ensuring high quality material is produced. This will be achieved by introducing robust processes and procedures for assessing incoming plastic waste streams, process monitoring, product testing and staff training. This will ensure good quality recycled High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) material is supplied to Condron’s twin wall pipe production lines.
Reporting to the Company Supervisor, you will be employed by Condron Concrete Ltd to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with Queen’s University Belfast. As part of this role you will be required to undertake a Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. This is fully funded by InterTradeIreland. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops.
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
Candidates must possess
- Min Honours Degree in an Engineering OR a Scientific discipline with completion of at least one module in thermoplastic polymer based materials.
- Legally permitted to work in the EU.
- A knowledge of polymer materials related analytical techniques including rheology, Differential Scanning Calorimetry.
- Computer skills (data analysis) with a willingness to work in industry across a number of disciplines; engineering; Materials; production; characterisation.
- Experience working in the polymer industry
- Working knowledge of Quality Systems
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!