Technical / NPD Manager, Firrin Foods Ltd
Firrin Foods is a family run business with almost 40 years of experience supplying value added meat products to local craft butchers, supermarkets and the food service sector. The company is a producer of pork, bacon and cooked sliced ham products.
THE ROLE (FUSION Project) – 18 Months
The aim of the project is to develop a range of new turkey based products for the domestic Irish market and export opportunity, developing and embedding a New Product Development (NPD) system to ensure an effective NPD focus for the company. The project will also focus on NPD to exploit raw material potential to reduce waste and add value.
Reporting to the Company Supervisor, you will be employed by Firrin Foods Ltd to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE). As part of this role you will be required to undertake a Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. This is fully funded by InterTradeIreland. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops.
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
Candidates must possess
- Min Degree, or equivalent, in Food Science/Food Technology OR an Honours Degree in a Science subject with a minimum of 1 food technology related module.
- Access to transport that will enable them to meet the requirements of the job.
- Legally permitted to work in the EU.
- 1 year's experience in the food manufacturing industry.
- Knowledge of meat products.
- NPD Experience.
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!