Design Engineer, Athy Steel Products Ltd
Athy Steel Products fabricates products for the construction industry including structural framework, stair casings and balustrades. Other products include access platforms and guards for industrial machines. The company also provides a maintenance contract service to local factories and a responsive call out service.
THE ROLE (FUSION Project) - 12 Month Contract
In order to expand and move up the value chain after the recession, the company would like to implement an in-house design function to improve its design capability. This will allow the company to tender for larger and bespoke engineering projects in the construction and pharmaceutical industries. Having an in-house design function in place the company would like to design two products – glass balustrade balcony (for the construction sector) and a dosing unit for cleaning waste water (for the pharmaceutical industry).
Reporting to the Company Supervisor, you will be employed by Athy Steel Products Ltd to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with south West College. As part of this role you will be required to undertake a Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. This is fully funded by InterTradeIreland. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops.
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post
Candidates must possess
- Min 2.2 degree in structural/manufacturing engineering
- Practical experience of working in an engineering manufacturing facility including work placement during engineering course
- Legally permitted to work in the EU.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and engineering drawings (2D CAD)
- Technical ability to solve design problems
- Knowledge of the construction industry and materials
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!