R&D/Production Engineer, Sean Nugent Engineering Ltd
The company specialises in the manufacture of Agricultural Machinery and Trailers. The range of trailers includes flat beds, general purpose, plant, tilt bed, tipper and of course the flagship Livestock range. The company has also more recently diversified into Horse Box manufacture.
THE ROLE (FUSION Project) – 18 month Contract
The company has developed a concept for a plastic composite panel to replace the traditional side panels on their horse trailer products. The company now faces the challenge of productionising the panel construction process, developing methods of handling the panels in the assembly process, incorporating the panels throughout the trailer range and developing a new fixing process within the trailer products. The finished product will have then progressed from a timber horse trailer to a composite plastic horse trailer. The timber version will no longer be made.
Reporting to the Company Supervisor, you will be employed by Sean Nugent Engineering Ltd to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with Irish Composites Centre at University of Limerick. As part of this role you will be required to undertake a Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. This is fully funded by InterTradeIreland. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops.
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
Candidates must possess
- 2.2 Honours Degree in one of the following: Design Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or closely related field
- Legally permitted to work in the EU.
The ideal applicant will have a design engineering background with aspects in polymer and composites and ideally an understanding of the equestrian industry and will demonstrate
- Some experience of design, manufacture and testing ideally with polymer composite materials
- Some knowledge of polymer composite manufacturing processes in a production environment
- Knowledge of SolidWorks 3D CAD software
- Some knowledge of joining and assembly processes for polymer composite materials
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!