Process Improvement Engineer, IJM Timber Engineering
IJM Timber Engineering (IJM) is a manufacturer of quality timber frame buildings for the Irish and UK markets. The company designs, manufactures, erects, assembles and certifies a wide range of timber frame houses, apartments and commercial buildings including hotels, nursing homes and crèches supplying both the trade and the self-build markets.
THE ROLE (FUSION Project) – 12 Month Contract
The Project will identify new transformational digital manufacturing solutions and applications required to help achieve the company’s strategic priorities, and develop and embed this new capability within the company.
Embed “Digital Manufacturing” engineering capability and knowledge within the company to help support the investigation and strategic implementation of future automation (robotic or otherwise) for flexible and agile production to enable improved products and processes.
Implement a Design for Manufacture and Assembly philosophy to streamline and align design and manufacturing systems and processes, facilitating increased productivity, innovation, customization and resource efficiency of our off-site production.
Reporting to the Company Supervisor, you will be employed by IJM to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with QUB. As part of this role you will be required to undertake a Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. This is fully funded by InterTradeIreland. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops.
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
- Hold a minimum of Degree level education (2:1 or higher) in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering, or a closely related discipline.
- Have a minimum experience of 2 years working in an engineer role within the manufacturing industry.
- Legally permitted to work in the EU.
- Experience of using a 2D/3D CAD design package, manufacturing process mapping, time and motion study and line balancing methodology, Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DFMA).
- Good knowledge and experience of the DMAIC process improvement strategy (DMAIC is an acronym for Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve and Control used for improving, optimising and stabilising business processes and designs).
- Knowledge of timber framed building design and fabrication processes.
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!