Textiles Product Designer - Hanna Hats of Donegal Ltd
Hanna Hats is a family owned business located in Donegal town which creates bespoke stitched textile products. Hanna Hats produce a vast range of apparel and stitched accessories, such as hats, caps and scarves, all of which are manufactured in-house in Donegal Town adding to the authenticity of their traditional Irish products. The company currently distributes its products internationally from their premises and sell online via their website.
(FUSION Project) – Duration - 12 Month Contract
Hanna Hats would like to improve their efficiency and processes by incorporating CAD product design and design for manufacture, while investigating digital machines and technologies that they can incorporate within the business to allow them to increase their production and leave them in an ideal position to develop new products using these capabilities and equipment.
Hanna’s have had significant interest from export markets, such as the American, Canadian and Asian markets. Strong potential enquiries have been received from buyers at New York Trade Shows and at Showcase Ireland but the company needs to improve operational efficiencies and incorporate digital technologies to increase their throughput and capitalise on the export market opportunities. The Fusion project will leave Hanna Hats in a stronger position to capitalise on any challenges/opportunities posed by Brexit.
Reporting to the Company Supervisor, you will be employed by Hanna Hats of Donegal Ltd to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with the North West Regional College. As part of this role you will be required to undertake a Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. This is fully funded by InterTradeIreland. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops.
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILL SET REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must possess:
- Minimum higher level qualification in Design or Textiles based studies (qualification to be a minimum HND NQF level 7 in Republic of Ireland or Level 5 in Northern Ireland or UK or equivalent), for example Product Design, Textiles Design, Engineering Design, Manufacturing.
- Experience of CAD/CAM design.
- Legally permitted to work in the EU.
- Minimum 1 year’s industry experience of working in new product development.
- Practical experience of working in the fashion/textiles/product design sector would be advantageous.
- Ability to create digital designs for embroidery or print using packages such as Adobe creative suites, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop or equivalent.
- Understanding of principles of lean manufacturing and design for manufacture.
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!