Project & Research Engineer - Midland Steel Reinforcement Supplies Limited
Midland Steel Reinforcement Supplies Ltd provides cut & bent reinforcement steel, made to measure mesh, coil & accessories to the construction industry. The company prefabricates bespoke reinforcement panels, cages and units for casting on site or at casting facilities. The company is also an industry leader in the provision of BIM, 3D modelling and detailing services.
(FUSION Project) – 18 Month Contract
The project aims to revolutionise the process of installing steel reinforcements for large cast concrete slabs. Midland Steel Reinforcement Supplies Ltd developed a new product for a project in response to a shortage of on-site skilled labour. The prototype used a manual fabrication process. The aim of the next stage of the project, with FUSION support, is to develop a production process and machine specification to automate the manufacture of the new product.
The project will encompass:
- Carry out a technical and cost analysis for this new innovative product
- Develop a specification for a machine to automate the fabrication process for this new product
- Liaise with machine provider during manufacture, installation and commissioning of machine
- Develop a production strategy to optimize costs for this new product
- Liaise with customers’ engineering & design teams to maximise the benefits to be gained during prefabrication and installation of the new product
Reporting to the Company Supervisor, you will be employed by Midland Steel Reinforcement Supplies Ltd to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with Queen’s University Belfast. As part of this role you will be required to undertake a Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. This is fully funded by InterTradeIreland. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops.
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILL SET REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must possess:
- Level 8 qualification in the Built Environment and/or Engineering Technology or Industrial Engineering
- Excellent computer skills including AutoCAD/BIM with a construction technology emphasis.
- Legally permitted to work in the EU.
- Minimum 2.1 Honours Degree
- Detailing and building structures background.
- Trained in Tekla Structures, a model based software.
- Work experience in construction environment
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!