Language Assistant in Spanish Schools - Immediate Start
The application period to become a Language Assistant in a Spanish private school is now about to close (deadline February 25th): receive a monthly pay, TEFL-related training (paid by the programme), and ongoing in-country support. This is a serious and structured programme with no fees, which enables participants to teach English in Spain and gain international experience.
- Deadline: candidates are encouraged to apply ASAP or at least before February 25th 2018
- Programme length (academic year in Spain): ASAP to May/June 2019
- Monthly payment: €862-912 per month (€412-462 per month when housing included)
- Lodging options: independent housing or full board accommodation with a volunteer host family
- University course included (compulsory)
- More than 200 schools all over Spain
- Different programmes adapted to the experience and background of the candidate: there is, for example, a specific programme for Education graduates and another one for graduates of all degree subjects.
The Role of a Language Assistant:
During one academic year, participants will teach 20 hours a week in one of the 200 schools Meddeas works with. A Language Assistant is a native-level speaker of English, French or German, who supports the school’s language teachers with conversation practice. The tasks differ from the ones in a teaching assistant role and include encouraging oral practice of the foreign language; explaining the culture of their home country; helping in other subjects such as science, art, P.E.; acting as a role model for correct pronunciation and grammar; and collaborating with teaching staff in creating teaching materials and planning lessons.
After one year teaching English abroad, Language Assistants add transferable skills to their CVs, such as public speaking, language skills, creativity, team working, topic preparation, patience, maturity, autonomy, and cultural awareness.
Main Perks of the Programme:
- Professional placement in a Spanish school, teaching 20 hours per week
- Certified course given by a Spanish university and paid by the programme. You will take a TEFL course with a special emphasis on school children.
- Guaranteed monthly allowance, more than enough to live in Spain as a student
- Health insurance covered by the programme (EU citizens)
- Help opening a bank account
- Programme run by a serious and professional organisation
- Ongoing in-country support from the school’s tutor and from Meddeas
- Initial training and teaching workshops
- Certificate of completion at the end of the programme
- Children aged two to eighteen. Learners' English levels range from beginner to advanced
- Paid school holidays (except for the summer period)
- No fees attached
Desirable candidate profile:
- Native-level English speaker
- Recent graduates (last four years) OR last-year university students
- No previous teaching experience needed (but valued)
- Someone who enjoys working with children and/or young people
- Energetic and creative
- Competence in the Spanish language is not required
- No criminal records
- Intercultural skills
- Cultural awareness
- Language skills
- Team working
- Public speaking
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!