Junior Manufacturing Engineer
Electric cars have the potential to benefit everyone tremendously. Not only do they provide a way to reduce emissions and thereby provide us with cleaner air in our cities, electric cars are an important part of the solution to mitigate climate change.
At Lightyear, we love electric cars and know they will prove a turning point in history. We started the Lightyear because we could not just be bystanders of the electric car revolution. We have a very strong drive to accelerate the introduction of electric cars around the globe.
Lightyear is a greenfield startup and offers a unique chance to work with the latest production and assembly techniques without having to take into account any legacy.
We envision a shift from traditional environment polluting vehicles to clean and affordable mobility. It is our mission to disrupt the electric car market by providing zero emission mobility for everyone, everywhere. We are on the brink of a breakthrough with the upcoming introduction of the Lightyear One.
Do you want to contribute to these world changing goals? Are you looking to make an impact, do you want that everything you do has influence? And are ambition, independence, honesty, sustainability and equality important to you? Then look no further!
The Manufacturing team at our company is responsible for the manufacturing readiness of new Lightyear products and sustain ongoing production as the owner of the process.
Manufacturing readiness preparation starts by engaging with the R&D team with the purpose of improving the manufacturability of the product design during development phase. It ends by handing over the production line up and running smoothly to the operations team.
Following the production ramp-up phase, the manufacturing team moves to a supporting position. As a junior manufacturing engineer, your main task will be to support the manufacturing team and manage sub projects under the support and mentorship of the experienced team members.
You will join the team during the industrialization phase of our first car, the Lightyear One. During this period, you will work closely with design engineers to ensure manufacturing is taken into account in product development. You are expected to translate the product requirements into manufacturing requirements in consolidation with quality, safety, procurement and other stakeholders.
You will participate in the production layout, manufacturing processes design and support the preparations for the production line. Following the trial productions and the launch of the production line fulfilling the team objectives, you will hand over the lead to the operations team. Thereafter, you will support the operations by performing daily tasks, introduce changes into the line and seek for alternative ways of working with a continuous improvement mindset!
As located in the centre of multiple departments, you will need cross-functional abilities and the right soft skills for this role. We are offering you a front seat throughout the development of our first car, the Lightyear One. An unique, self charging solar-electrical car, and an opportunity to work with latest production techniques required to produce the cars of the future!
- Support the manufacturing project leaders in the production layout and process design.
- Participate in Process-FMEA workshops.
- Search for the latest production techniques and implement the feasible ideas in manufacturing environment.
- Support the design and development of in-house fixtures, tools and simple equipment.
- Manage some of the outsourced manufacturing projects with suppliers from ordering till commissioning. These projects will be chosen according to candidate profile and she/he will be supported.
- Create and maintain the manufacturing procedures and documentation such as process sheets, control plans and relevant documents.
- Support the production during the pilot productions
- Measure and monitor the cycle times, labor content and machine times to find the bottlenecks and lead Kaizens to improve them.
- Confront the production issues by conducting root cause analysis and take corrective actions as required.
- Contribute to Lightyear’s mission by choosing energy efficient systems to reduce the carbon footprint and contribute to a better future
- Bachelor or Master degree in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering or similar
- 0-1 years of work or internship experience together with impressive internship and/or university projects
- Good communication skills in English
- Aiming at a career within automotive manufacturing
- Strong analytical skills
- Knowledge and experience in at least 3 of these domains:
- Robotic applications and programming
- Additive manufacturing
- Software programming
- PLC programming (Siemens)
- AutoCad, Catia or similar design programs
- MES ( Manufacturing Execution Systems)
- Value stream mapping
- Six Sigma, FMEA, problem solving techniques
- Predetermined motion time analysis techniques (like MTM)
- Willing to work with latest automotive manufacturing tools & techniques
- Interest in lightweight materials, solar systems, electrical vehicles and EV components
- Affinity with the Lightyear mission
What do we offer
- High level of autonomy
- A multidisciplinary team of highly motivated and talented people
- A fast growing organization with lots of opportunities
- The ability to challenge the status quo and have a positive impact on a fast changing world
- 30 holidays
- Excellent travel expenses
- We are building towards the future every day, we started in 2016 and we're making big steps. We are also building and improving our conditions for our employees. For example we offer a very interesting option to invest in shares of Lightyear as an employee. We would like to discuss these possibilities in a personal conversation!
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!