Software Engineer at Mercari (Tokyo, Japan)
Mercari is one of Japan’s hottest mobile apps. With over 100 million downloads worldwide, the app has become a household name in Japan as the go-to C2C marketplace. They’ve had such outstanding success that they became Japan’s first-ever tech unicorn!
Right now, Mercari is actively hiring fresh graduate software engineers to work at their headquarters in the swanky Roppongi district of Tokyo. If you fit the qualifications listed below, you are eligible to apply. And in case you were wondering, Japanese language ability is NOT required for this position.
Scope of the job
- Develop and manage native mobile application for iOS and Android
- Create web applications using Go/PHP
- Build scalable backend systems to sustain Mercari’s heavy API traffic using Go, C, Lua, etc
- Operate Mercari’s database with terabytes of data
- Research, conceive and develop new applications to extend Mercari's product using modern technology such as Machine Learning, IoT, etc
- Ensure product quality by writing automated E2E tests for mobile applications
- Based on your assignment, you will be asked to go on business trips to the US and/or UK
As a Software Engineer, you will contribute to Mercari’s business expansion through the development and enhancement of new app features/services as well as by introducing new technology to help us work more efficiently.
Our company structure is very flat. There are generally two possible career paths (positions) for Mercari’s software engineers:
- *Engineering Manager*: Takes part in strategic decision-making, development of the team and its engineers, and improves company structure and systems
- *Tech Lead*: Builds technical expertise in software engineering, and uses this knowledge to strengthen Mercari’s technological impact and vision, both internally and externally
- Fresh graduates who can join in 2019
- Experience with Unix/Linux or Mac environments, distributed systems, machine learning, information retrieval and TCP/IP
- Experience in programming using C, C++, Java, Python, Go and/or PHP
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Ability to communicate in English is a must; Japanese is not required
Our ideal candidate is…
・Prepared to overcome difficult challenges and learn from mistakes
・Proactive and able to think independently for the good of the team
・Able to go bold and take ownership of projects
Employment type :
Permanent Full-time, 3 month probation period
Flexible working hours (Core time: 12:00-16:00, Official working hours: 10:00-19:00) with 60-minute lunch a day
5-day work week (Sat/Sun off), National holidays, paid time off, summer/New Year’s vacation, congratulatory leave, compassionate leave, etc.
- Health insurance
- Employee stock ownership plan
- Full local transportation coverage
- Visa support
- Moving allowance and international travel expense reimbursement
- Japanese Learning Support
- English Learning Support
- Company club activities
- Off-site team building events
- Free lunches (welcome lunch, shuffle lunch, mentor lunch, Japanese chat lunch, English chat lunch, team-building lunch)
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!