Management Trainee Position - Operations and Product Development
This full time, permanent role is a great opportunity to become part of the Vagabond HQ team, within Transport, Operations and Product Development. It will also include exposure to and involvement with the other teams at HQ, Marketing and
Sales and Reservations. Training will be provided on an ongoing basis, both internally and externally. The role is aimed towards someone looking to develop a career in management in tourism, transport, hospitality or customer service. In time we hope to be able to offer promotional prospects within Vagabond (though we can’t guarantee it!), but this role will also provide superb experience and training that would be recognised and valued by other employers.
This is a full-time role, mainly office and yard based in the off-season (November to March) and during the season there will be time required on the road as a Driver Guide. The role will require at least two full seasons on the road as a driver guide for
Vagabond from beginning the role - but could be seen as a possible stepping stone into full time management either at Vagabond or within the industry.
Vagabond is committed to best practise in all fields of our business, including vehicle operations. We aim to be as professional and compliant as possible. Our vehicles are beautifully kept and maintained, our driver support is excellent, and we ensure
that all laws are fully complied with. Essentially it is to assist the Transport manager in all aspects of the role to ensure that this continues.
Duties and Responsibilities:
End of Season and Winter Duties -
At the end of every season, the vehicles are cleaned out and checked for damage. This is then repaired, ready for next season. There is also considerable behind the scenes work to do post season. Some of the duties include:
- Post-season vehicle procedures:
- Equipment recording and stocking
- Ensuring Documentation in correct and up to
- Scheduling and carrying out Service and DOE rotation on all vehicles and trailers
- Liaising with vehicle related suppliers
- Minor alterations and fixing on vehicles
- Ensuring all aspects of the vehicle operations are recorded correctly on the Vagabond system
- Assisting all aspects of Transport/Vehicle/Driver/Route licenses
Pre-season preparation is vital to the success of a very busy, and long season.
- Preparing vehicles for season: Stocking vehicles/Cleaning/Servicing
- Preparing Yard stocking for season
- Preparing driver-guide equipment: Driver kit bags/Phones/Uniforms
- Team Training - assisting with the preparation, logistics and delivery of guide team training.
- Assisting with all other aspects of pre season preparation
- Project Work - implementing new systems
- Liaising with activity providers on tours:
During the Season -
During the season, the role will require time of the road, and also time in the office and at weekends.
- Leading tours as a driver guide as required. 2 full seasons as mentioned above.
- Assisting driver guides with tour send off and guest check in on tour departure days
- Become part of the HQ tour contingency team - Assisting with urgent vehicle or guide requirements on tours
- Stocking the yard container, including cleaning equipment, bottles, and driver guide equipment.
- Moving vehicles to and from service centres.
- Minor vehicle repairs
- Delivering of replacement vehicles for mid tour breakdowns - often at short notice.
Vagabond is constantly looking to innovate new products and continually develop existing tours. We have identified a requirement at HQ for a knowledgeable product executive with on-the-road experience who can focus on this area and coordinate
other departments as required.
Duties include -
- Developing new itineraries and adapting existing ones
- Liaising with Marketing, Sales and Reservations as required
- Attending suppliers’ workshops, Familiarisation tours and site visits on behalf of Vagabond
- Engaging with suppliers and negotiating rates, service levels and logistics
- Analysis of customer feedback and feeding learnings back into quality control and product development
For Vagabond we believe the person is key, if you have the potential, we can train and develop you into the role and beyond.
- Excellent team player with a proven record of such.
- Technically savvy - both with vehicles and IT systems
- Loads of initiative and the ability to think like a manager
- Well organised with an eye for detail
- You will be able to work flexible hours.
- During the season Vagabond operates 24/7 and the operations team need to be available at all times to support the on-road team
- Someone committed to the Vagabond ethos and culture
Previous Experience and Qualification -
- Previous experience in travel, transport, guiding, group leading would be beneficial.
- Ideally a 3rd level degree, minimum Leaving Certificate
- D or D1 License and CPC’s
Training and Development
We will provide all on-the-job training required and external training that would be of benefit for the role and the development of the individual. This could range from Transport Manager CPC to a postgraduate qualification.
Salary: To be discussed on application. Vagabond offers a contributory pension scheme
PLEASE NOTE: At this moment in time, we are not accepting applications from candidates who require a work permit.
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!