Process Engineer - JF Walsh Packaging Ltd
J F Walsh Packaging Ltd manufacture paper bags, such as paper carrier bags, internal twist handle bags, bags with customised logo, takeaway and food packaging products and many more. We have a vast range of customers from the small local newsagent to many of the largest high street supermarkets/pharmacies/off licences/fast food outlets.
THE ROLE (FUSION Project) – 12 Month Duration
J F Walsh Packaging lacks operational data to inform strategic decisions. Current operational approaches are hindering productivity and scalability, whilst lack of operational data is hindering decision-making and strategic direction.
This project will measure, analyse and streamline manufacturing processes for cost reduction and efficiency savings. Performance data will be used to inform process improvement, up and cross-skilling, predictive data analytics and business intelligence.
Increased efficiencies will improve the competitive position of the business placing it in a stronger position in a post Brexit trading environment. By implementing innovative, intelligent business solutions J F Walsh Packaging will be in a position to rapidly respond to new business opportunities resulting in market growth, increased turnover and profitability for the business.
Reporting to the Company Supervisor, you will be employed by JF Walsh Packaging Ltd to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with the Ulster University. As part of this role you will be required to undertake a Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. This is fully funded by InterTradeIreland. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops.
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILL SET REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must possess:
- To hold or have been awarded a degree qualification in an Engineering or Computer Science related discipline (minimum 2.2 Honours), by July 2019
- Experience of system development, programming and/or business analytics
- Legally permitted to work in the EU.
- Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering (or related discipline)
- Knowledge of LEAN management principles.
- Commercial/manufacturing experience
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!