Graduate Engineer - B.H.P. Laboratories Ltd
BHP Laboratories Ltd provides independent analytical testing services to customers in Ireland and the UK in the areas of civil engineering, chemical, environment, and occupational health monitoring.
THE ROLE (FUSION Project) – 18 Month Duration
This project will enable BHP to research, develop and accredit the provision of new and topical construction-related tests within its laboratory.
The specialist test methods in question relating to soils, aggregates, concrete and asphalt include: Polished Stone Value (PSV) test; Aggregate Abrasion Value (AAV) test; drying shrinkage test; and pyrite screening analysis. By developing in-house ability to undertake these test methods, BHP will overcome the current need to sub-contract related work to UK-based test houses.
By up-scaling their capabilities in this way, BHP will be in a unique position on the island of Ireland to offer customers with a comprehensive suite of test methods essential to the delivery of a wide range of construction projects, and will be in a strong position to grow their business accordingly.
Reporting to the Company Supervisor, you will be employed by BHP Laboratories Ltd to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with the Ulster University. As part of this role you will be required to undertake a Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. This is fully funded by InterTradeIreland. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops.
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILL SET REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must possess:
- 2:1 BEng Hons Degree or MEng Degree in a relevant branch of engineering, such as civil or construction;
- Legally permitted to work in the EU.
- Up-to-date knowledge of civil engineering concepts and testing techniques;
- Direct knowledge and experience in the set up and operation of a PSV and an AVV machine along with other construction materials testing instruments;
- Experience of developing marketing/promotional materials;
- Demonstrate ability to plan and manage a programme of work with attention to detail;
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!