Technology Graduate - Sturdy Products Ltd
Sturdy Products Ltd is a manufacturer of rotationally moulded plastic products. The main product sectors in which the company operates are Oil Tanks, Bunded Tanks and Water Tanks, Rainwater Harvesting Systems, Coal Bunkers, Construction Products, Farm and Equestrian range, Environmental and Waste Management, Road Furniture and Safety & Materials Handling. Sturdy Products’ services include Custom Moulding, Graphic Design, Product Refurbishment and Product Recycling.
THE ROLE (FUSION Project) – 18 Month Duration
The role is to be responsible for the implementation of an Innovation programme to revolutionise the Manufacturing processes within Sturdy Products Ltd. The project will develop new processing techniques at higher temperatures for next generation polymers moving the company up the value chain from commodity to high performance engineering plastics. It will enable the company to enter more lucrative markets such as transport, automotive, medical and aerospace. It will also research and develop specifications for new plant and equipment and implement process sensors to reduce operating costs.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, you will be employed by Sturdy Products Ltd to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with the Ulster University. As part of this role you will be required to undertake a Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. This is fully funded by InterTradeIreland. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops.
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILL SET REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must possess:
- 2:1 Honours degree in Science, Mechanical Engineering, or Polymer Engineering.
- Must have experience in Polymer processing in a Rotomoulding environment.
- Legally permitted to work in the EU.
- Understanding of manufacturing systems and procedures, production, quality control and capacity utilisation
- Extensive IT skills and capability.
- Experience of Knowledge Based Engineering (KBE)
- Experience of Polymer processing through the Rotomoulding process, including knowledge of optimising Mould operation.
- Project management skills to include full cost analysis, forecasting, planning and reporting.
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!