Sports Administrator Intern Role
Student Sport Ireland invite applications from recent graduates for the exciting role of paid Sports Administrator Intern. Please see below for detailed a job description, an outline of the application process and closing date.
Role and Application Specifications
Organisation: Student Sport Ireland
Title: Sports Administrator Intern
Work Location: Irish Sport HQ, National Sports Campus, Dublin
Reporting To: Development Manager
Salary Paid: €1500 per month
Post Duration: 6 Months
Hours of Work: 9am – 5pm (40hrs)
Days of Work: Monday – Friday
Application Deadline: Noon, 25th March
Shortlisting: 26th March
Interview Date: 28th March (TBC)
Commencement Date: Early April
Qualifications: Recent Third Level Graduate (essential); Sport and/or Recreation related third level qualification would be an advantage.
Student Sport Ireland is the governing body for third level sport on the island of Ireland with the remit to work in partnership with national and international sports governing bodies to identify pathways for college communities to participate, compete and develop through sport and physical activity. The organisation works closely with the Sport Ireland, Sport Northern Ireland, the national governing bodies of sport (NGBs) and its affiliated member colleges in meeting its remit.
Thirty third level universities and institutions of technology are affiliated to SSI representing approximately 200,000 third level students. The SSI office is housed at Irish Sport HQ at the National Sports Campus in Abbotstown, Dublin 15 with eighteen other national governing bodies of sport.
SSI staff coordinate an intensive work programme which includes the delivery of a wide range of programmes and initiatives including the coordination of high-performance student athletes competing at the World University Championships and World University Games, the planning and coordination of intercollegiate leagues, the delivery of the annual staff Networking Event2, the annual Event of the Year Award and the annual Student Leadership Award. The organisation has now a well-established research programme3 and which informed the current strategic plan “Working for Third Level Sport and Physical Activity”.
The role offers recent graduates with an interest in pursuing a career in sport administration a unique opportunity to work in a dynamic national representative organisation with an extensive national and international network.
While the role will involve ongoing support to SSI staff the Sports Administrator Intern will play a key role in assisting SSI staff in the planning and coordination of the 2019 World University Games, the annual networking event and student awards, and the SSI intercollegiate competitions.
The intern will also support SSI staff with the maintenance and updating of the SSI web and social media sites and assist in the undertaking of general office duties as assigned by the Development Manager.
In the undertaking of this work the intern will develop an envious skillset including project management, event planning and coordination, budget management, networking and sports administration.
The role also provides the successful applicant the opportunity with direct access to SSI affiliated colleges Directors of Sport, Heads of Sport, Sports Managers, and Sports Officers and Sports Development Staff in addition to meeting and networking with NGB staff and officials housed at Sport HQ.
The Sports Administrator Intern will:
- have the opportunity to positively and directly input and influence the work of the organisation
- gain practical hands sports administrative experience by playing a key role in the coordination and delivery of some of the organisation’s core programmes
- be given real work, real responsibility, will be positively challenged, will be encouraged to be proactive, to work on her/his own initiative and will become a confident decision maker
- develop an envious skill set including project planning and management, event planning and coordination, budget administration/management, networking and sports administration, people skills and relationship development
- connect in with a wide network of key influencers in Irish sport; firstly, through working directly with Third Level Heads of Sports, Directors of Sport and Senior Sports Officers and secondly by virtue that that the SSI office is housed at Sport HQ and which is host to eighteen NGBs and their staff
- work in a modern spacious naturally lit work environment with her/his own work place, PC and telephone
- It is essential that the applicant be a recent third level graduate
- A third level qualification in sport and/or recreation is an advantage (but not essential)
- Outgoing interactive personality with a passion for Sports Administration
- Proven organisational and administrative skills is essential
- Clear ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Task orientated with a proven ability to multi-task, work on own initiative, manage time efficiently and meet deadlines is essential
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven insight, knowledge and understanding of the workings of Word Press, Facebook and Twitter would be an advantage
- A positive can-do flexible attitude approach to the work
- Understanding of the third level sporting structure and environment, and knowledge of a range of sports would be an advantage
- A current driving license and access to private transport, while not essential, is desirable.
How to Apply
Applicants are requested to submit an up to date cover letter and CV via email to Ciarán Ó hIarnáin, SSI Development Manager at email@example.com.
Applicants are requested to set out in their CV the contact details for two referees.
The closing date for applications is 12 noon, 25th March.
Interviews have been provisionally scheduled for the 28th March.
Applicants are requested to set out in their cover letter their availability to present for interview at Sport HQ on this date.
Potential applicants with any queries or questions are encouraged to contact the SSI Development Manager via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01 625 1173.
We wish all applicants the best of luck with their application!
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!