General Motors Apprenticeship Program - Mainframe roles
The program is a 12-month training & work experience paid program with a world leader in Automotive Manufacturing, Autonomous Vehicles and Alternative Ownership. GM is building a Mainframe Application Development Centre of Excellence. Successful apprentices will join this team. Initial training will be on the overall mainframe system. Once the basic skills are mastered training on Open Source Development tools for a DevOps environment using an IBM z Parallel Sysplex will continue.
The main technologies we will focus on are:
IBM z Mainframe, COBOL, JCL, ENDEVOR, Z/OS, PL/1, IMS, DB2.
The program involves:
- Classroom and on the job training on Z/OS Mainframe.
- Classroom and on the job training in COBOL and/or PL/1.
- Classroom and on the job training in ISPF, ENDEVOR, IMS and other Mainframe tools.
- Significant hands-on training and work experience in real world Enterprise environments.
- Solving real world technical issues learning to troubleshoot and problem solve.
- Program participants will join multi-functional development teams gain valuable experience in a large Mainframe distributed environment.
- Team members will work with diverse business units right across General Motors.
Required qualifications and skills:
Applicants should have:
- A proven interest in Information technology and problem solving.
- A 3rd level Degree qualification in Computer Science, IT Engineering or Mathematics is required.
- Alternatively, a Postgraduate Conversion Qualification in Computer Science/IT and a degree in another subject, are required.
- Some exposure to IBM mainframe technologies would be useful.
- The apprenticeship program represents a perfect opportunity for IT professionals who have been out of the workplace and want to come back to enhance their careers.
- Applicants without significant educational qualifications are also very welcome to apply but should have significant software-focussed IT work experience with proven track record.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply online at our career website
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!