Project/Manufacturing Engineer, Mackle Snacks Ltd
Mackle Snacks Ltd commenced trading in 2005 and is involved in the production, marketing and retailing of an array of corn snack food products. The range of extruded products covers the different sectors of the baby category and adult snacking which this range has expanded to included novel products such as a new range of ingredients with fruit coatings.
Currently, Mackle offers a contract manufacturing facility to a range of companies to manufacture their products. Furthermore, this has been a successful business model.
THE ROLE (FUSION Project) – 18 Month Duration
The proposed project will support the development of a number of new healthy snack products, to meet the growing market needs. A new process development in the form of a novel manufacturing technique is required.
Currently, Mackle produces these superfood snacks but only at a very small scale as the manufacturing infrastructure is not suitable. The successful graduate will be key in new process development for these sought after products, enabling Mackle to scale-up the manufacturing capabilities to full production and developing engineering expertise in-house.
Reporting to the operations manager, you will be employed by Mackle Snacks Ltd to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with the Dundalk Institute of Technology. As part of this role you undertake a fully funded Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops.
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILL SET REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must possess:
- To hold or due to be awarded by July 2019, Honours Degree with an award classification of a minimum (H2.2) in one of the following:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Automation Engineering
- Electrical/Electronic Engineering or Similar
- Legally permitted to work in BOTH the UK and the EU.
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment with a particular focus on process design and process evaluation
- Strong design and project management skills.
- Knowledge of the currently-adopted best practices in manufacturing methods.
- Knowledge of automation in the food industry.
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!