Chemical Process Engineer, Sprint Coatings Ltd.
Sprint Coatings specialises in the protective and decorative coating of various metals for the construction industry. In addition to this the company also provides a steel galvanising service to companies. Sprint Coatings can coat any aspect of the ‘Building Envelope’ from the front gate and perimeter fencing, to the light fittings, door entrances, window or roof services.
THE ROLE (FUSION Project) – 18 Month Duration
Metallic powder coatings are applied to surfaces using a pre-treatment technology that involves the use of chromate based passivates. The construction industry is now moving away from chromate for health and environmental reasons and as such Sprint Coatings needs to find a replacement technology to remain competitive.
This project will require research of the various alternative pretreatment technologies available followed by an evaluation of the most appropriate technology for Sprint Coatings. The graduate will then integrate this new technology into Sprint Coatings day to day operations to eventually replace the current chromate technology.
Reporting to the Company Supervisor, you will be employed by Sprint Coatings Ltd to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with the North West Regional College. As part of this role you will undertake a fully funded Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops.
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILL SET REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must possess:
- To hold or due to be awarded by June 2019, a min 2.2 degree in Chemical Engineering, or Process Engineering, Chemistry, Material Science, Mechanical Engineering
- Legally permitted to work in the EU.
- 2 to 3 years industry experience
- Polymer experience and chemical analysis experience
- Experience of using 3D CAD design
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!