Mechanical Design Engineer, McGeary Engineering Ltd
McGeary Engineering primarily provides fabrication services to a number of companies throughout the UK and Ireland. The Company specialises in pipe fabrications and provides pre-fabricated pipe fabrications for numerous applications. In addition the company supplies parts and components, such as spray nozzles, to industry. They also boast a 20,000 sq/ft purpose-built manufacturing facility with an array of advanced manufacturing capabilities.
THE ROLE (FUSION Project) – 18 Month Duration
The successful graduate will be key in supporting the development of a number of important piping and pre-fabricated piping systems for the water services industry with a particular focus on water treatment facilities. The proposed new product is the standardisation of a number of parts to supply an off the shelf solution to the water industry. It will range from 2”-12” pipework and mounting brackets and stabilisers to suit. The development of this product will enable McGeary Engineering to manufacture and sell its own off-the-shelf product. Whereas, up-until-now the company worked predominately as a sub-contractor to a large number of manufacturing companies.
Reporting to the Company Supervisor, you will be employed by McGeary Engineering to lead this InterTradeIreland FUSION project in partnership with Dundalk Institute of Technology. As part of this role you will undertake a fully funded Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, from the William J. Clinton Leadership Institute at Queen’s University, Belfast. The skills learned through the Diploma will enhance your personal, professional and managerial capabilities and will provide you with the necessary and valuable business skills to help you undertake your project role. The company will fully support you throughout this by factoring in the required time off to attend modules and workshops.
- To carry out the tasks outlined in the project workplan and liaise with your Company and Academic Supervisors on an ongoing basis.
- To convene and service monthly technical meetings with the core project team (Graduate, Company Supervisor and Academic Supervisor)
- To report formally on a quarterly basis on progress with the workplan to a Project Management Group (PMG), this includes the assigned FUSION Consultant representing InterTradeIreland.
- To train staff so that the new technology is fully transferred and embedded in the company
- To work closely with the academic partner and travel to the academic institute as required.
- To undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Business & Management, attending course modules and workshops.
- Any other duties which might fall within the general ambit of the post.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILL SET REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must possess:
- Hold or due to be awarded by July 2019, Honours Degree with an award classification of a minimum (H2.2) in one of the following: Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering Or Similar
- Legally permitted to work in BOTH the UK and the EU.
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment with a particular focus on fabrication and/or design of fluid flow through piping networks
- Strong design and project management skills.
- Knowledge of the currently-adopted best practices in pipe flow for water applications.
- Knowledge of the international standards and directives pertaining to water treatment facilities
- Drawing skills, such as SolidWorks/AutoCAD
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!