Irish Life is Ireland’s leading provider of life assurance and pensions with a commitment to delivering the highest quality standards to our customers. We are part of the Great-West Lifeco group of companies, one of the world’s leading life assurance organisations.
Due to continued growth and success, we are recruiting a number of highly motivated and capable people for the role of Trainee Actuary. This is an exciting opportunity with a lot of potential for career development in a fast-moving environment.
We are keen to speak with suitable students from an actuarial, finance, mathematical or other relevant degree background. Successful applicants can hope to commence work between June and September 2020.
The Irish Life Trainee Actuary programme offers a range of supports to guide students in their careers.
The Rotations Policy rotates trainees between actuarial teams every 2-3 years, allowing them to develop valuable experience across a range of areas in the business.
Irish Life offers a comprehensive Trainee Actuary Study Scheme programme, which includes:
- Paid study leave ahead of exams
- Payment of exam fees & membership of the Institute & Faculty of Actuaries and Society of Actuaries in Ireland
- Study materials including notes, exam solutions, and marking for coursework
- Study tutorials
- Career mentoring within a company with the largest actuarial community in Ireland
Irish Life supports an active work-life balance, and includes Sports & Social clubs, Staff Charities, a Diversity & Inclusion programme and multiple volunteering opportunities in the community. On campus there is a variety of facilities, including a subsidised restaurant, a gym, squash courts, indoor hall, massage & physiotherapy, exercise classes and a free swimming pool.
Irish Life offers a comprehensive remuneration package as well as a range of other benefits, including health insurance allowance, a generous pension scheme and other protection benefits.
We have a ‘flexi-leave’ policy which allows for both flexible working hours and additional flexi-leave in addition to the standard annual leave.
The Irish Life campus is located in the heart of Dublin city centre, with easy access to public transport, shopping and restaurants.
The roles available include a wide range of responsibilities within our actuarial teams, including:
- Reporting on the business performance via quarterly financial reporting and the setting of regulatory reserves and capital
- Developing and pricing new and innovative insurance products that meet emerging customer needs whilst generating adequate shareholder return within controlled risk thresholds
- Implementing and reporting on complex reinsurance strategies designed to reduce risk
- Performing data analysis to identify trends and anomalies and assisting in management’s decision making
- Providing actuarial and technical support for queries from clients, sales channels and non-actuarial teams
- Developing and improving modelling solutions to assist in financial reporting and new business pricing processes
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and knowledge:
- The ability to work within a team and across teams.
- Keen commercial awareness, technical abilities and problem solving skills.
- A strong customer service focus, with an ability to meet challenging deadlines.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent PC skills and the ability to further enhance skills here. Knowledge of MS Office, SQL, VBA, Prophet or other emerging software would be an advantage.
- An expectation of at least a 2.1 result (or equivalent) at degree level.
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!