Senior Mechanical Engineer
Based in Kenya, BURN designs, produces and distributes East Africa’s best-selling, most durable and economical charcoal and wood cookstoves that also dramatically reduce harmful smoke emissions which can cause significant health problems, even death. See our promo video.
Not only does BURN sell the world’s most fuel-efficient charcoal and wood household stoves, but we are also the only cookstove company which manufactures all its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only state-of-the-art clean cookstove manufacturing facility.
Since 2013, BURN has sold 650,000+ Jikokoa ™ stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 3,000,000 beneficiaries save $215 million in fuel expenditures and 2.6 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~25,000 stoves per month and are on track to double sales over the next 12 months by expanding its successful model across Africa. BURN has 300 employees and expects strong growth in the number of employees in the coming years.
BURN is now poised to bring its revolutionary biomass cookstoves - as well as a new range of electric, hybrid, and liquid fuel stoves - to Sub-Saharan Africa & beyond. Over the next 3 years BURN will enter 6 new countries and launch 5 new products.
BURN is currently seeking a mission driven Senior Mechanical Engineer for its modern clean cookstove manufacturing facility in Ruiru, Nairobi.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Lead the development of manufacturing processes, including spec’ing, sourcing, and installation, commissioning and training the production personnel.
- Lead development of required soft and production tools, including assembly and QC jigs and fixtures, and sheet metal tools.
- Supervise the implementation, the design work, analysis, and all engineering tasks of the factory and assembly lines layout.
- Set the engineering parameters for production and QC SOP’s.
- Work closely with all departments on material selection, and spec sheets development.
- Drive continued improvements and work on the implementation of the related engineering changes.
- Assist the maintenance team in root cause analyses and in repair of factory equipment including mechanical and hydraulic presses, shears, spot welders and drill presses.
- Work closely with the production, QC, and the process teams for engineering and manufacturability issues root cause analyses.
- Train and evaluate junior engineers, new technicians and mechanical fellows.
- Carry out all other engineering tasks as per the engineering department requirements.
Required qualifications & skills
- BA from Mechanical/Industrial/Manufacturing engineering school.
- 4 to 7 years of experience in manufacturing entities, at least 2 years in sheet metal factories.
- Experience in at least on one of the following projects during his/her career:
- Consumer product launch
- Factory layout implementation
- Lean manufacturing, waste elimination or continuous improvement project
- TPM programs implementation
- Building sheet metal forming and/or blanking and piercing tools
- Ability to use
- at least 3 Solid Works modules professionally. 3D modelling and assembly, sheet metal and surfacing is preferred
- 2D AutoCAD
- at least one project management tool, MS project is preferred
- Microsoft office.
- CAM experience is a must, Bob-CAM or SolidWorks CAM is preferred.
- Creative, able to work effectively in teams, has good managerial skills and is representable.
- Can operate basic shop machines and tools: manual mill, lathe, drill press.
- Aware of the basics of electricity, and hydraulics and pneumatics.
- Good knowledge of material science and material selection for tooling, products and machine spare parts.
- Experience operating CNC machine tools, welding and using fabrication skills are plus points.
- Problem finder and solver
- Hands on
- Action oriented
- Mechanical aptitude, ability to troubleshoot and repair mechanical issues
- Excellent communicator
- Detail oriented and well organised
- Works well in a team
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!