MACQUARIE AIRFINANCE is looking for a high caliber intern from a range of disciplines who possess a strong interest in aircraft, a desire to gain knowledge of market activity within the industry and to work on challenging projects as part of a successful team. The program provides an excellent opportunity for you to get hands-on work experience in the aircraft leasing industry in a dynamic, international environment. You should have strong analytical skills, be a good communicator, have a willingness to learn and to be a collaborative contributing member on a team.
The Intern will work in the Marketing and Trading, Risk and Technical groups and report to the respective senior managers in each department. The EVP of Technical will co-ordinate the program and be available as a resident resource to the Intern to help build your work experience in a supportive and progressive internship role.
Summary of Job Description
Macquarie AirFinance (MAF) is a global aviation lessor that provides aircraft and capital to the world’s airlines. Established in 2006, following the acquisition of aircraft lessor, GATX, MAF owns a portfolio of nearly 200 commercial jets which are on lease to 88 airlines in 48 countries around the globe.
Leveraging significant technical and industry experience, the company invests in current-generation aircraft types to meet the fleet needs of airlines globally.
The intern will join Macquarie AirFinance’s team in Dublin Ireland, where they will have the opportunity to work in four departments - Marketing, Risk, Trading, and Technical. There will also be cross-over with the Finance (pricing) and Legal departments. In each department, the Intern will have the opportunity to further develop their skills and gain industry experience. In addition, they will have the chance to work on various special projects related to business development and / or improvement. As part of this work they will regularly interact with Marketing and Trading, Risk and Technical professionals, supporting teams with both a business and customer focus.
As part of a close-knit team, the intern will have the opportunity to learn about many aspects of the aircraft leasing business and take ownership of projects that will support the firm’s investment strategy and support senior management decisions.
This internship is intended to develop the candidate’s knowledge in the Marketing, Risk, Trading and Technical areas and may serve as an entry point into a career in the aircraft leasing industry giving a unique insight into potential career paths in this sector. High performing interns may be invited to accept a full-time position upon completion of the internship programme in 2020.
Essential Job Functions
- On-going analysis of airlines within Europe, the Middle East & Africa
- Preparing briefing notes on specific airlines for marketing team visits.
- Attend marketing meetings / calls as required.
- Market analysis of aircraft lease rates and lessor placements
- On-going review of daily industry publications
- Assist the marketing department with the preparation of lease proposals
- Assist in researching airlines prior to marketing visits.
- Assist with the financial and non-financial analysis of airlines to determine their financial strength and creditworthiness.
- On-financial analysis includes ownership, operations, franchise, fleet, country of operation etc.
- Assist with the writing of credit reviews of airlines.
- Assist with the preparation of the MAF Watch List report for financially distressed Lessee’s
- Financial and non-financial analysis of airlines
- Create a database for trading activity on both the buy and sell-side
- Analysis of lessors including profile of existing fleet, order book and trading activity
- Assist in analysis of MAF portfolio to identify potential candidates for sale
- Preparation of RFPs
- Information requests and ad hoc tasks depending on trading activity
- Develop a basic understanding of aircraft technical management
- Support the review and analysis of aircraft specifications.
- Support the analysis of maintenance cost modeling.
- Analysis of lessors including profile of existing fleet, order book and trading activity.
- Assist with the upkeep of our technical management system.
- Other Ad Hoc projects as given.
Qualifications and Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree; Master’s degree in progress
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Outstanding analytical skills and attention to detail
- Working knowledge of MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and MS Word
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Display a high level of initiative and willingness to learn
- Ability to work well in an environment managing key deliverables within defined timeframes
- Strong work ethic and the ability to work as part of a team
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Versatility, flexibility and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Volunteers readily and undertakes self-development activities
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!