Human Resource Management
Local Authorities are at the forefront in the ongoing process of modernisation in the public service, operating in an environment where standards and citizen expectations are very high, coupled with significantly reduced resources since 2008. The demand for quick and accurate responses, comprehensive information, greater transparency, accountability and value for money has increased and focuses attention on the most effective use of one of the key resource of the Local Authorities, their employees. A need exists within the sector to continually drive organisational performance improvement including employee contribution to such performance.
Graduates with qualifications in and a strong interest in the areas of Human Resource Management or Human Resource Development can expect to improve their competency by becoming part of an existing HR section in the Local Authority where they gain a placement.
Application and Selection Process
Applicants must complete the standardised application form provided by the Local Government Management Agency (LGMA) who are organising the Graduate recruitment competition on behalf of the 31 local authorities. The form will require that all applicants provide the following information,
- Name & contact details
- Qualifications obtained and educational history
- Details previous employment history (if any)
- Confirmation of which post(s) in which local authorities in each of the 7 skills areas that you wish to apply for? Applicants will be asked to select up to and rank in order of preference a maximum of 5 local authorities in no more than 2 regions for each skills area being applied for.
- A short text-based description of how you believe your qualification is relevant to the skills area(s) that you are applying for?
- Complete and sign the declaration.
Once submitted applicants will be asked to undergo some or all of the following steps as part of the recruitment process,
- Shortlisting of your application based on the direct relevance of your qualification to the skills area(s) you have applied for.
- A competitive interview in the region(s) you have selected.
- Any other tests or exercises that may be deemed appropriate.
Candidates who are successful at the interview stage will be placed on a panel from which future vacancies will be filled. The regional panels for each of the 7 skills areas will be active for 12 months with individual local authorities being able to fill any vacancies which arise post commencement up to a cut off point of 9 months.
Closing date for applications: 17th December 2020 at 3pm
Carlow County Council; Cavan County Council; Clare County Council; Cork City Council; Cork County Council; Donegal County Council; Dublin City Council; Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council; Galway City Council; Kildare County Council; LGMA; Louth County Council; Mayo County Council; WestmeathCounty Council..
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!