Java Technical Support Engineer
Guidewire's Customer & Cloud Operations team is a pivotal part of Guidewire's success, has a start-up culture within a global public company, and is growing fast. We use our immense knowledge of Guidewire products (gained through company sponsored training), and our ability to read and write Java and SQL, to delight customers with our problem solving skills and customer service approach.
Guidewire’s Customer & Cloud Operations (CCO) organization delivers 24x7 service to customers who are using Guidewire software both on-premise and in the Guidewire Cloud.
As a Technical Support Engineer on the First Responders team, you will own and solve incoming customer support cases covering the entire Guidewire product portfolio. You will develop deep expertise in one or more Guidewire products and provide triage and troubleshooting support using Guidewire knowledgebase and continuous learning to restore the affected production system.
Guidewire products are highly configured and highly integrated and work multi-threaded in a web services environment, so our support engineers gain a vast knowledge of complex applications. You will receive broad overview training on all of Guidewire’s products and become a certified Specialist in one or more of those products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research, respond to and accurately resolve cases of moderate complexity, in a timely manner and in accordance with the First Responders Team standards
- Function as primary customer contact for all assigned support cases, meeting Guidewire’s contractual and internal goals for initial response and subsequent customer communication
- Provide expert solutions to customer problems to ensure customer satisfaction
- Write thorough and detailed case documentation to meet objectives for Case Quality and Customer Satisfaction scores
- Proactively take ownership and responsibility for support cases where and when required
- Collaborate with Application Engineers on more complex issues involving system integration and custom configurations
- Contribute to the development of internal tools that can be used during triage and issue restorations
- Escalate customer issues to the Support Manager as appropriate
- Participate in team projects that enhance the quality or efficiency of support
- Participate in after-hours and on-call support as needed
- Develop and maintain deep knowledge of Guidewire’s products
- Contribute to an environment that encourages information sharing, team-based resolution activity, cross training, and an absolute focus on doing what is best for the customer
- Create knowledgebase articles and other informational documents to be shared with customers and teammates
- Play a lead role in the continued improvement of Guidewire’s operational processes
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Familiarity with software development lifecycle, Agile preferred
- Experience troubleshooting software code and reporting progress; preference for experience with a commercial customer incident tracking or CRM system such as Salesforce.com
- Experience using a software defect tracking system such as JIRA preferred
- Understanding in Object-Oriented programming (Java, C#, or similar), relational databases (data modeling/SQL), web UI (design and development), XML, application architecture, and the Linux operating system.
- Ability to read and interpret application server thread dumps, Oracle AWR reports, and other log files
- Outstanding troubleshooting skills: ability to think critically and display an aptitude for problem solving
- Ability to prioritize work effort based on a dynamic work environment
- Employ sound business judgement when making business decisions
- Use creative and innovative ways to solve problems
- Display a strong work ethic and do whatever it takes to get the job done
- Demonstrate strong follow-through and consistently keep commitments to customers and employees
- Display an understanding of the customer’s needs and a strong commitment to customer satisfaction
- Guidewire operates various shifts to support our customers. Technical Support Engineers will work 5 days per week between Monday and Sunday, working either a day or late shift (typical late shift hours of 12pm – 9pm with an hour break).
- We provide 24x7 support to our customers, so we expect you to take turns with your teammates being on-call for after-hours production emergencies
- Travel – Expect occasional travel (less than 5%) to other Guidewire offices for training and meeting.
Guidewire is the platform P&C insurers trust to engage, innovate, and grow efficiently.
Guidewire combines core, data, digital, analytics, and AI to deliver our platform as a cloud service. 380 insurers, including the largest and most complex in the world, run on Guidewire.
As a partner to our customers, we continually evolve to enable their success. We are proud of our unparalleled implementation track record with 700+ successful projects, supported by the largest R&D team and partner ecosystem in the industry. Our marketplace provides hundreds of add-ons that accelerate integration, localization, and innovation.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!