Pensions Management Graduate
We are pension consultants, administrators, actuaries, pension scheme trustees, IT software developers and central support services professionals. We have more than 180 colleagues in seven locations around the UK (Belfast, Glasgow, London, Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester).
Our graduate development programmes offer the opportunity to build a career in the pensions industry through our two main companies, Spence & Partners Limited (Spence) and Dalriada Trustees Limited (Dalriada).
As a Graduate you will work with our team to create a personal development plan in order to support your development in the company and the industry. A structured training plan will help you grow your knowledge and drive your career. As part of your training, you will be given the opportunity to be exposed to all aspects of our Business acquiring a breadth of knowledge and experience that will enable you to become a credible and an effective Pensions Management professional.
In support of our Pensions Management teams, you will contribute to a wide range of work within the pensions sector, incorporating technical support to the Trustees, including our own professional trustees, and Sponsoring Employers of pension schemes, as well as our work with the Pension Protection Fund and The Pensions Regulator. This provides the opportunity to develop core technical pensions management competencies on a daily basis and enhance your technical abilities whilst working in a challenging environment as part of a rapidly growing, innovative pension consulting and professional trustee firm. You will liaise with colleagues throughout our office locations and work on clients from a diverse range of industries.
As a Pensions Management Graduate, you will:
- Help provide a client service that is proactive, timely and fully focused on the needs of the client and maintains the excellent reputation that has been established by our impressive team.
- Be encouraged to use your creativity and critical thinking to come up with tailor-made solutions to unique problems.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills through regular interaction with clients.
- Be trained on the use of our bespoke in-house software, Mantle®, to consider and develop appropriate solutions that meet the needs of our clients.
- Carry out a range of projects from winding up schemes and calculating member pension benefits to carrying out forensic research for schemes where we have been appointed by The Pensions Regulator.
- Draft reports and presentations to clients in support of their decision making in managing their pension scheme arrangements.
- Act as key contact to members and clients, answering a range of queries over the phone and via written communication becoming effective and confident in providing clear and accurate information to members and beneficiaries.
- Support our work with the Pension Protection Fund as a member of its Specialist Administration and Actuarial Services Panel.
- Perform in accordance with financial targets and standards; time recording, budget monitoring, billing and all other aspects of financial management.
- Work with and support expert and senior colleagues in our pensions delivery, professional trustee and consultancy teams, developing skills and knowledge across our range of services by delivering on client needs.
Responsibilities & Criteria
- An honours degree at 2:1 level or above in a relevant subject.
- A Levels (or equivalent) – Must include Mathematics.*
- Excellent IT Skills and competent in Microsoft packages, e.g. Word and Excel, with an aptitude for learning other systems.
- Experience of working proactively and using your own initiative to complete tasks.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to display a keen interest in the industry and environment in which we operate.
- Eligibility to work in the UK.
*Depending on your overall academic record with regards to mathematics /numeracy this requirement may be reviewed
- Work Experience or Placement in a Professional/Customer Services environment.
Behavioural Competencies for the Role
Inspiring Leadership, Strategic Thinking, Impacting & Influencing, Client Engagement, Collaborative Working, Problem Solving, Planned Approach, Professional Approach.
Salary & Benefits Package
If you are successful you will receive a salary of £22,000 and a competitive benefits package outlined on our careers page.
To find out more about this programme and the experiences of our previous graduates please check our Graduate Brochure.
Flexible within commutable distance of one of our established offices and able to travel to our other offices across the UK regularly.
Due to covid-19 it is unclear what our situation will be with regard to home and office-based working in the foreseeable future. In 2021 it is envisaged that we will be working at least a proportion of the week from home and therefore you should be open to the possibility of this being the case if you were to join us.
Closing Date for the role 29 January 2021. We may close recruitment and proceed with candidate selection earlier than 29th January 2021 if there is high volume and quality of applications.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting employers!