The Society of Technical Communication (STC) define information developers, technical writers and technical communicators as individuals who communicate using an instruction based focus on technical and specialised topics using technology.
Their primary role is to communicate information to users of products or services in a clear concise manner for diverse audiences and stakeholder groups.
This programme will equip graduates with the knowledge, skills and competencies to design and developed technical documents using a structured methodological approach.
The programme was developed with key industry stakeholders; Johnson Controls, EMC, VCE, IBM and TWi to address the skills shortage in this area. Graduates of this level 9 Certificate programme may progress to the Postgraduate Diploma and the Master's stages.
This Certificate in Information Design & Development has a strong applied emphasis which is supported by in-depth theoretical knowledge. The programme was developed with significant input from industry's leading Information Design and Development experts. Designed to address the widening practical and theoretical skills shortage in Information Design and Development, the programme delivers content that follows best practice in industry.
The programme places significant emphasis on student learning by doing. It adopts a practical, hands-on, approach to learning, where all modules are fully assessed using continuous assessment methods. There are no formal end of semester written examinations and this ensures that you will learn by doing from the first module to the last.
This Springboard+ funded programme is open to all level 8 degree graduates irrespective of their employment status. For employed participants, the Higher Education Authority (HEA) will fund 90% of the course fee with CIT collecting the remaining 10% from participants at registration. All other participants will be funded 100% by the HEA.
The following Level 8 degree holders can apply:
• Those in receipt of an eligible payment from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection and the formerly self-employed.
• People not in receipt of a payment from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection that have been out of the work environment for a number of years due to childcare or other caring obligations and have a previous history of employment but may require upskilling or reskilling to transition back to the workforce ("Returners").
• People in employment who wish to upskill or reskill to meet a specific emerging skills gap. Returners and employed participants will be required to meet the residency requirements for Springboard+; that they must have been ordinarily resident in an EU/EEA/Swiss state for at least three of the five years preceding their entry to their programme.
Certificate in Information Design & Development (30 ECTS, Level 9 on the National Framework of Qualifications).