Master of Business Administration (MBA)
The MBA is a one year full-time or two year part-time programme that educates and prepares a diverse group of learners with the academic knowledge, analytical ability and innovative management perspectives and skills needed to manage organisations in an increasingly competitive and diverse global marketplace. The programme enables learners commence or strengthen their career in business, as well as underpin any further business studies and achieve excellence at an executive level in their chosen profession in both the public and private sectors.
Aims of the Programme
The ability to confidently manage a business represents a valuable skill-set. In order for an organisation to be flexible in diverse business environments and to change direction at speed, they must be experts in business management and business strategy in a global context. The aim of the MBA at DBS is to develop these sets of abilities with a particular focus on a thorough understanding of business management. The MBA offers you a unique opportunity to study advanced theory and practice relating to management, and to develop an appreciation of the causes and significance of managing strategy.
Key Features of the Programme
This unique programme allows you to study the pure MBA, or choose a specialist route for your MBA award within the following programmes: HRM; Project Management; Finance; Information Systems; Cloud Computing or Marketing. This ensures students are afforded the widest choice of specialisms from which to choose. A practitioner focus is part of this programme, and industry-led workshops and guest lecturers keep information current and applied.
The MBA will include:
• Personal, academic and professional development.
• Lectures and assessment methods that apply the business knowledge required for students to perform as an effective manager in any organisation.
• Through, extensive study of key issues in business theories students will be capable of evaluation and application of important global management issues which impact on organisational effectiveness and performance.
• Knowledge and understanding of global business, most especially on issues such as globalisation, standardisation and customisation of products and services.
• Skills and knowledge to inform you how an organisation is best managed in a changing world.
With these in mind, the programme is designed to provide you with relevant knowledge, so that you are familiar with the latest theoretical and practical developments relating to business management and development.
Semester one: Total 30 ECTS
• Four mandatory modules total 20 ECTS (5 ECTS per module):
• Global Issues for Management
• Strategic Marketing Analysis
• Managerial Financial Analysis
• Research Methods 1
• One elective 10 ECTS
Semester two: Total 30 ECTS
• Three mandatory modules total 20 ECTS:
• Applied Strategic Management (10 ECTS)
• Dynamic Leadership Development (5 ECTS)
• Research Methods 2 (5 ECTS)
• One elective 10 ECTS
Semester three: Total 30 ECTS
Electives emanate from the following sub-fields of business: Marketing, HRM, Cloud Computing, Information Systems, Finance or Project Management. Should a learner choose two electives from the same specialism they will be on a specific learning pathway.