Dublin City University School of Computing and Business School have combined to develop and offer a full-time M.Sc. degree in Electronic Commerce with two distinct concentrations, business and technical. The two concentrations within the same overall degree programme are designed to offer two distinct tracks with a shared e-commerce emphasis to appeal to both technical and business specialists.
The uniqueness of this Masters degree lies in the interaction fostered between participants on its Technical and Business streams. Its specially designed structure sees students of both streams following a common core curriculum, along with a number of modules particular to their stream. Over two taught semesters participants on the Business stream take modules in advanced business topics, as well as some fundamental modules in computing. Simultaneously, students on the Technical stream take advanced computing courses, along with introductory modules in business topics. Hence, this curriculum allows participants to gain a solid grounding in both the technical and strategic issues relating to e-commerce.
The programme is firmly grounded in the reality of the Information Age. This is reflected in the major project of a practical nature on which students are required to work collaboratively between May and late August. This involves students of both streams coming together to build a prototype e-commerce system that solves a real-world problem or exploits a real-world opportunity. The projects, which may be provided by corporate clients or involve some of the students' own ideas, typically involve market research, formulation of project and business plans, and design and development of a working e-commerce system prototype.
It aims to provide graduates with the multi-faceted skills required to operate successfully in the dynamic e-commerce, mobile technology and other high tech industries. With a strong practical focus, it has a wealth of attractive features for both recent graduates and those wishing to update their skills through full-time study.
DCU is Ireland's University of Enterprise with an industry engagement strategy which benefits our students in many ways including:
• Learning from academic experts with high level industry relevant experience ensuring you graduate with the most up-to-date knowledge of theory and practice.
• Exposure to leading international experts and thought leaders during the conferences relevant to business and technology
• Working on real-world industry client projects, applying theory and giving you the practical skills and experience demanded by employers today
• Heavy emphasis on applied learning
• Strong exposure and critical analysis of existing, new and emerging technologies which enable strategic change.