MEng in Geotechnical / Structural Engineering Joint Programme
• MEng in Geotechnical Engineering with Structural Engineering
• MEng in Structural Engineering with Geotechnical Engineering
This part-time online MEng provides postgraduate training for Level 8 degree qualified professional and graduate Civil Engineers who require up-skilling and higher education in the areas of Geotechnical and Structural Engineering. The programme is also attractive to experienced Civil Engineers who are seeking to move from a different area of expertise into the Geotechnical and /or Structural Engineering domains.
Graduates of the programme can work as design or site engineers in the areas of Geotechnical / Structural Engineering at a level of responsibility appropriate to the increasingly complex and technical roles currently required by industry.
The programme has two primary aims:
1. To provide upskilling to existing civil engineers working or intending to work in the Geotechnical / Structural Engineering domains,
2. To provide a means for graduate engineers to meet the educational requirement for Chartered Engineer membership of Engineers Ireland, while at the same time developing advanced skills in Geotechnical and Structural Engineering. This is particularly relevant to Level 8 Civil Engineering graduates already in employment who wish to become Chartered Engineers.
The programme is delivered part-time online over two stages.
Stage one of the programme consists of six taught modules, delivered over one academic year (September to May). The taught modules examine key aspects of Geotechnical Engineering and Structural Engineering. A particular focus of the taught modules is on soil – structure interaction and the use of numerical methods in Geotechnical and Structural Engineering.
Stage two consists of a research project which is designed to develop a real and tangible research project, relevant to academic requirements, the student's career aspirations and/or their employer's needs. The student can choose to complete Stage 2 of the programme over one or two academic years. Students will be able to propose their own project areas, subject to agreement with their supervisor. Work related projects are encouraged, again, subject to agreement with their supervisor.
The proposed programme is unique in so far as:
1. It is the only part-time online MEng in areas of Geotechnical and Structural Engineering in the country,
2. It is part-time and delivered online, and therefore attractive to engineers in full-time employment,
3. It has a major research component which will enable learning while undertaking a project of direct interest to the student, their employer and clients.