What is the programme about?
This MSc in Strength and Conditioning (S&C) is intended to provide students with an excellent opportunity to acquire a deeper understanding and knowledge in the fields of strength and conditioning and human performance.
The programme has been designed with a range of specialist modules to develop the knowledge and skills associated in the area of Strength and Conditioning. The balance of theoretical and practical content will examine advanced strength and conditioning methods, fitness testing and sport coaching technology, fundamental movement, entrepreneurship and management.
A unique feature of the programme is the inclusion of a Management and Entrepreneurship module. This is a core module for S&C coaches to embrace relevant skills of enterprise and marketing necessary to build an S&C profile, reputation, and if desired, business. The programme has been designed and developed in conjunction with Setanta College (www.setantacollege.com) and utilises our state of the art Sportslab facility at our LIT Thurles campus.
This programme aims to provide students with:
- An advanced understanding of both current and emerging knowledge and practice in Strength and Conditioning
- Practical coaching skills in advanced Strength and Conditioning
- Preparation and encouragement to pursue future directions in either academic study or professional coaching opportunities
- An advanced skill set in business and entrepreneurship
- Higher order creative, critical and reflective thinking skills that encourage research, application and evaluation
- A multidisciplinary approach to working within the discipline of Strength and Conditioning
- A rigorous research understanding including preparation to publish a dissertation
- Skills and confidence to contribute to the development of knowledge and practice in Strength and Conditioning