This masters degree provides a valuable opportunity to gain an advanced understanding of a range of fields in psychology, including cognitive, social, forensic and counselling psychology. You'll develop critical appraisal skills in the evaluation of psychology research and practice. You also gain an understanding of the reciprocal relationship psychological research has with medicine, public policy, public opinion and the media. Completing this rigourous masters degree will enable you to source, select and review psychological research independently, evaluate its relevance for complex real life issue/cases, assess its validity, and clearly communicate your findings to academic and non-academic audiences.
Key features of the course
• Provides a valuable opportunity to enhance your analytical and communication skills, as well as developing the latest skills in research literacy
• Bespoke teaching material and experienced tutors will guide you through the exploration of fascinating cutting-edge topic areas and research, enabling you to engage with these in a sophisticated manner
• Relevant for existing professionals or those wishing to pursue a career in all areas of public policy, social justice, management, the health services, and advertising and marketing.
Please note that this masters degree is not accredited by The British Psychological Society.
The learning outcomes of this qualification are described in four areas:
• Knowledge and understanding
• Cognitive skills
• Practical and professional skills
• Key skills
On successful completion of the required modules for the qualification you can be awarded an MSc in Psychology. You will be entitled to use the letters MSc Psych (Open) after your name. You will have the opportunity to attend a degree ceremony.
Recognition in your country
If you intend to use your Open University qualifications to seek work or undertake further study outside the UK, we recommend checking whether your intended qualification will meet local requirements for your chosen career. Read recognition in my country.