This qualification is an exciting opportunity to develop your skills as a translator, equipping you to work in the fast-growing Translation Services industry. You will experiment with different genres through practical, inspiring translation activities, and hone your practice through peer review. You will gain hands-on experience of using tools necessary to operate in this rapidly-evolving area (e.g. audio-visual translation or cloud-based translation tools). Your work will be underpinned by an understanding of translations theories and debates.
Key features of the course
• Engage in authentic translation tasks to develop useful employability skills
• Choose from French, German, Spanish, Italian, Mandarin Chinese or Arabic in combination with English
• Participate in online open translation projects, with a certain degree of freedom to choose what you translate, and the opportunity to connect with established translation communities
• Develop your professional skills with a combination of collaborative activities and peer-reviews.
The learning outcomes of this qualification are described in four areas:
• Knowledge and understanding
• Cognitive skills
• Practical and professional skills
• Key skills
On successful completion of the required modules you will be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma in Translation entitling you to use the letters PG Dip Trans (Open) after your name.
Recognition in your country
If you intend to use your Open University qualifications to seek work or undertake further study outside the UK, we recommend checking whether your intended qualification will meet local requirements for your chosen career. Read recognition in my country.
If you've successfully completed some relevant postgraduate study elsewhere, you might be able to count it towards this qualification, reducing the number of modules you need to study. You should apply for credit transfer as soon as possible, before you register for your first module. For more details and an application form, visit our Credit Transfer website.