What is... Thermal Bridge Assessment?
The need for qualified Thermal Bridge Modellers arises from the requirement for increased performance of buildings under the Part L of the Building Regulations.
Thermal bridge modelling is a complex process which demands an understanding of applied building physics principles and an ability to use a variety of inter-related calculation software applications to measure performance in two- and three-dimensional assemblies. Its correct use is central to energy-efficient & healthy sustainable building design and to achieving long term performance of new build and retrofit building solutions
The DT775b CPD Diploma in Thermal Bridge Assessment is a 2 semester part-time multi-disciplinary upskilling programme for architects, engineers, building surveyors and architectural technologists.
The programme is set at Level 9 in the National Framework of Qualifications and aims to provide graduates of building design and construction related programmes with an educational setting in which to develop skills in thermal bridge assessment and an ability to apply principles to construction detailing.
The programme content is focused on thermal bridge modelling which requires an understanding of various thermal performance predictive computer applications. Industry based building designs will be used as the basis for project work to give realistic context for collaborative and multi-disciplinary work.
On successful completion of the CPD Dip TBA programme the student will be able to:
- Apply an understanding of the mathematical calculations underpinning and used by thermal bridge analytical software applications to critique related computer output data.
- Apply the requirements of the codes and standards relating to linear and point thermal bridging, temperature factor determination, and calculation of the Y-factor for a whole building.
- Use a 2D and 3D thermal bridge analytical software application and validate its suitability to thermal bridging analysis in accordance with the examples from ISO 10211 Appendix A.
- Apply analytical software applications to the assessment and resolution of thermal bridging problems.
- Carry out a comprehensive analysis of thermal bridge performance in an existing domestic building through a combination of individual and group project work.
- Determine areas of weak performance and develop design solutions to minimise heat flow and optimise surface temperatures at junctions through a combination of individual and group project work.
- Prepare a technical performance report for the purpose of demonstrating compliance with Building Regulations.