Please note due to the great demand for our programmes early applications are assessed when received and dealt with promptly. Therefore it is advisable to make early applications for an early response. If you do not yet have your final degree results this will not hinder your application as we are happy to issue conditional offer letters in such circumstances.
This part-time programme, delivered over 2 years (4 semesters), provides an opportunity for professionals who use spatial information in their organizations to improve their knowledge and skills for a range of careers in the Surveying and Geo-Information (GI) sectors in Ireland and abroad.
The need for competitiveness and efficiency in both the private and public sectors has resulted in a growing awareness of the role of spatial information and GIS technologies in support of the decision making process.This, together with the development of the Irish Spatial Data Infrastructure within the context of the Information Society in Ireland, has highlighted the demand for professionals with particular qualifications and enhanced skills in the understanding, use and management of spatial information.
The programme is presented within the new School of Spatial Planning in the Faculty of the Built Environment in DIT. A total intake of 20 students is anticipated from different disciplines and backgrounds, all with experience in the use of spatial information.
Who Should Apply?:
Applications are expected from practitioners in :
- The GI research community:
- Government departments, State agencies, local authorities and utilities responsible for acquiring spatial data, managing GI, preparing GI strategies for their departments/ agencies, and using GI in the production and delivery of their services;
- Software and hardware system suppliers and developers;
- Private sector spatial data and GI providers
- Private sector GI service providers (including those who undertake data audits, data cleansing, data formatting, etc.)
- Professionals from related disciplines (geographers, geologists, engineers, and IT specialists) who wish to enhance their GI skills.