The Aim of this programme is to provide the staff of universities and other third level institutions with the opportunity to develop a research approach to their teaching and student learning and to provide them with the pedagogical tools that will enable them to document and harness student learning. The programme is grounded in the research principles of a scholarship of teaching and learning approach.
The Aims and Objectives of the programme are summarised as follows:
1 Knowledge and understanding of teaching and learning theories in the context of higher education
2. Understanding and appreciation of the needs of diverse learners and skills to respond to these needs
3. Understanding of the role of an academic as university teacher
4. Knowledge, understanding and skills of course planning, course design and course evaluation
5. Knowledge and understanding of various teaching strategies appropriate to different disciplines and subject areas
6. Knowledge and understanding of teaching as a form of scholarship within the university
7. Knowledge and understanding of the various forms of documentation of the scholarship of teaching
8. Knowledge and understanding of technology- enhanced learning and the development of an online community of practice
9. Knowledge and understanding of various modes and techniques of student assessment
Participants will work online in the following ways: review lecture podcasts, participate in webinars, engage in online discussion forums, review video footage, follow online links, chat with critical friends, access electronic journals, review articles and create an online community of researchers.
Unique Aspects of the Course
This programme provides teachers in higher education with an ideal opportunity to learn to research their teaching and look for the evidence of student learning. Such qualifications are now used as criteria for career progression and promotion. Most importantly, teachers sustain a reflective practice approach as researchers of teaching and learning. All third level teachers can benefit from the programme.